• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fatherly advice (wife and kids were in an accident)

medium187mph

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
218   0
Reaction score
I got a call that my wife and kids were okay but were in a pretty bad accident and on the way to the hospital.

My wife was at a red light and got plowed into by a gravel/sand hauler.

So far the family is okay, concision, whiplash, bruises but that’s about it. The car is more then likely totaled… the rear of her SUV is all smashed in and being held at a local tow company.

So far just a hospital trip and police report filed (wait 24hrs to get)

My local insurance office was closed.

What should I do? I know we are not at fault so do I go to a car rental and start keeping receipts for reimbursement?

Do I call Morgan and Morgan?

I’m going to notify my insurance tomorrow when they open.

Her car was paid off and I have overkill insurance policy but since we are not at fault I’m not sure how this all works.

I really don’t have anyone to get solid advice as I am pretty much on my own with my family and they look to me for answers.

Any advice would be great

I believe we have a resident attorney here on ODT Laxguy59 Laxguy59 . I'd definitely be contacting one if I were you. Getting rear ended by a gravel truck could have gone way worse than that. And at a red light means he probably wasn't paying attention. I'd assume it was a company truck and they should have some good insurance, but I wouldn't want to pay a dime out of pocket for anything in that case. Also, glad they are OK!

A few years ago my wife and kids were in an accident and even though they were OK as well, it was the worst feeling in the world that I wasn't there with them. All I could think about was getting to them as fast as possible. Same thing, this guy ran a red light and plowed in to her paid off 4Runner.

Most important thing right now is probably getting beside them at the hospital. Doubt they’ll be driving anywhere tomorrow, so rental/insurance/etc questions can wait until you talk to insurance tomorrow. Given the circumstances, it is probably in your best interest to get some representation. Prayers for you family.

Most important thing right now is probably getting beside them at the hospital. Doubt they’ll be driving anywhere tomorrow, so rental/insurance/etc questions can wait until you talk to insurance tomorrow. Given the circumstances, it is probably in your best interest to get some representation. Prayers for you family.

Yes I got them at the house now and picked up their medicines. I’m so grateful that they are OK.

I'm glad your family is okay.

If you need a car rental, just be prepared to not get reimbursed for some if not all of it.

If the kids were in car seats, the car seats are trash now. They did there job. Get new ones.

Keep and document everything. Take good photo's at the scene and good photo's at the impound lot. Document any bruising and any medical issues and out of pocket expenses.

Let your insurance company know ASAP and ask what they recommend. They will help you. Do not go through the at faults insurance. Let your insurance company handle it.

Other then that, take the kids for a treat. DQ, playground, something to ease the stress. Make sure to not forgot about taking care of your wife as well.

Again, glad everyone is good.

best advice you will get. Thanks shootsacanon

Yes I got them at the house now and picked up their medicines. I’m so grateful that they are OK.
Good deal…glad all is ok with them. That is most important.
Just contact insurance company tomorrow and if they are worth a damn, they should take care of everything including getting you rental(s) until you can get another vehicle .
Good luck, keep us posted if you want….I’m curious as to how it all goes.

Back
Top Bottom