• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Field dressing deer

I have never field dressed one in all my years hunting. Cooler charges the same either way and actually prefers that they come in without being field dressed. They said that they don't have to worry about meat being contaminated or done incorrectly. They are 2 miles from where we hunt and they do a fantastic job of processing.

We will process wherever the deer drops unless some circumstance forces us to move it. I prefer a gambrel so I can bleed the deer out (gravity), but often there are no suitable trees from which to hang the gambrel from. So a tarp will be the operating table :)

Meat on the bone go in a pack with ice blocks and then transferred to cooler with ice. Age it for 7 days or so in the cooler above the ice with melted ice draining out. Then I debone and make cuts, package and freeze. Often cooler a little during this part of processing to enjoy the fresh meat.

Similar process for turkey, squirrel, etc. I have a large cutting board I use for deer. Smaller ones for turkey, squirrel and fish.

View attachment 6568847

View attachment 6568848

View attachment 6568849

Yep, I use a 5x7 tarp. Also, I use paracord and tie off the rear legs to trees to splay them. I'm experimenting w gutless field dressing this year, and having the legs spread apart helps remove them w/o puncturing something in the guts. Saves on time, and I get as much meat as I did before.

Obviously, I don't bleed my meat but I do ice it for 7 to 10 days before processing. This is my second season doing this, and it seems to work. My butcher recommended it. He's from Louisiana and supposedly that's how they do it there.

How so? Hanging from a gambrel we skin and quarter easily without meat making contact with the ground.

On the ground we use a tarp that has been cleaned prior to dressing.

Meat goes in bags which go in a pack with ice blocks.
Field dressing is removing the entrails while the animal is in the field. You have a whole 'nother thing going on.

I don't field dress either. I bring them back to camp, hang with a gambrel, skin, debone all the meat while hanging into an iced cooler, and the last thing I get is the tenderloins. I leave my meat 2 weeks in a cooler to age in an iced saltwater brine. When the ice mostly melts, I drain 2/3 of it, add more ice and salt, and repeat this 3 or 4 times. The salt keeps bad bacteria down, and the blood comes out over the aging process. You cant tell whether my meat came from a doe or a rutted up buck. YMMV, but it has worked for me perfectly for many years.

No we have a skinning rack with water I never field dress I can clean it faster than gutting it.
2-hams
2 shoulders
2-backstraps
2 inside tenderloins
If that’s not enough kill another.
When I was hunting I always took the liver and heart if they weren't damaged.

Do mine the same way. I've got a cubing machine, a grinder and a commercial vacuum sealer. Besides field dressing is the only way I can get the liver and heart. Damn good eating!
And I get way more meat off a deer than any processor I've found around here. Don't discount the shanks either they braise and slow cook deliciously!
Any recipes for the heart and liver other than slicing and frying?

Back
Top Bottom