• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Field dressing deer

Field dressing depends on where I am. Public land way back, yep. My dad's property at the bottom of the mountain, yep. At the family land in south Georgia, nope. We have a tractor to lift it and we clean it that way and we do get the inner loins as well even without gutting it.

Never field dressed a deer in my life, and don't intend to ever change that. I have skinned, gutted, and processed a bunch in my earlier years of hunting, but now we have a great processor I like and trust that's barely 2 miles from our property.

Never field dressed a deer in my life, and don't intend to ever change that. I have skinned, gutted, and processed a bunch in my earlier years of hunting, but now we have a great processor I like and trust that's barely 2 miles from our property.
What does he charge?

Man your post sure is confusing ! lol. You say you never field dressed a deer in your life . You then say I skinned gutted processed etc.. lol.. are you meaning you haven’t gutted and cut one out in the woods ? Way I always thought field dressing was gutting …

Man your post sure is confusing ! lol. You say you never field dressed a deer in your life . You then say I skinned gutted processed etc.. lol.. are you meaning you haven’t gutted and cut one out in the woods ? Way I always thought field dressing was gutting …
My understanding of the definition of field dressing is gutting it in the woods. I always took it home and did everything there after hanging it up from a tree or skinning pole.

What does he charge?
Was $65 for everything other than sausage when I started using them. Has slowly gone up over time. It's $95 this year. It's getting a little pricey now, but I have a good relationship with them. They have cut me a deal a couple times without me asking. They keep me informed about what's going on with the properties around ours during the season also, which is another incentive to keep using them.

Was $65 for everything other than sausage when I started using them. Has slowly gone up over time. It's $95 this year. It's getting a little pricey now, but I have a good relationship with them. They have cut me a deal a couple times without me asking. They keep me informed about what's going on with the properties around ours during the season also, which is another incentive to keep using them.
Good to know. The place I started using after the one I used for decades closed, wanted $130 this year. I just started staying home.

I would gut them in the woods in my early years before atvs/sidexside was a big thing. Hunting on public land I always had to drag them. Now a days I don’t even gut them anymore. Hang up em up cur the meat off leave the guys inside the cavity

We field dress every single deer. Never taken one to a processor. Process on the ground or hang 'em from a gambrel on a tree. For us processing in the field is part of the overall adventure and experience. On real cold days getting your hands on that warm meat and body is a nice welcome hand warmer. Age that meat in a cooler over ice draining away and refilling for 7 days or so, then debone and cut, Package and freeze.
Same. Field dressed every one i ever killed.

Back
Top Bottom