• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First suppressor

I'm buying in the order that I shoot the most. I started with a DA Mask to cover 17 HMR/22 LR/22 WMR back in 2017. I'm currently awaiting release of my DA Sandman-S, which will cover 5.56 and 6.5CM. My next will be a 45-cal can to cover 9mm/10mm/45 ACP.

If I were starting from scratch now, I'd follow this exact path again. I've ran ~8,000 rounds through my Mask at this point and it has been flawless. Rifle, pistol, semi-auto, bolt, lever. 22 LR, 22 WMR, 17 HMR, 5.7x28. Awesome little piece of hardware and silly quiet with the right host/ammo combo!

The Sandman-S will live mostly on my 5.56 for varmint dispatch. I'll also toss it on my 6.5CM bolt gun for long range work when I'm with or around a group.

Cleaning the Mask is super simple. I take mine down every 1k rounds, tap the baffles apart with the plastic handle of a screwdriver, soak everything in G96 gun oil for an hour or so, scrub up with a nylon brush, wipe everything down and reassemble. You can go the mad scientist route with "The Dip" but I don't feel like finding a place that'll let me dispose of the aftermath. A little bit of TLC keeps it running just fine.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I called Liberty and explained what I was wanting to do with a 30 cal can and they suggested their Liberty Amendment 30 Cal Suppressor. Does anyone one have it ?

You’re the third or fourth person to mention how dirty 22’s are. What’s the deal? Is it because it’s rimfire and doesn’t burn as clean or what?

Other than some Norma ammo I bought recently that was given an oil bath before boxing I thought it was very clean shooting.
Most 22 is lead bullet and not jacketed, this ends up leaving a lot of lead deposit/buildup in the baffle stack and requires removal/cleaning regularly. If not it will literally build up to make your can a solid chunk

Most 22 is lead bullet and not jacketed, this ends up leaving a lot of lead deposit/buildup in the baffle stack and requires removal/cleaning regularly. If not it will literally build up to make your can a solid chunk
wow. Thats good to know. I was told at the dealers some cleaning but not to that extent.

seriously?? that figures.

yep, you do have to pay for two stamps of course but I got a centerfire one coming along with a 9mm/300b
wow. Thats good to know. I was told at the dealers some cleaning but not to that extent.

I just cleaned my switchback for first time. Internals spent a week in slip 2000 carbon killer, knocked off most of rest with some 0000 steel wool and then threw in a tumbler with some walnut media for a few hours, 99% of junk came off.

I was reading about treating with Dot 5 brake fluid after cleaning, I did that and we'll see how tough it is to clean next time.

Different cans for different hosts is the way to go. Do some reading on materials and decide what your applications are. Buy once cry once holds true in the NFA game. Much harder to sell and try again if you don't like the first thing you bought. Stick with established manufacturers. Thunderbeast, dead air, silencerco, rugged, Q, surefire, knights armament. Best chance of having help down the line if something happens to your can.

Back
Top Bottom