• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Franklin Arms short barreled firearm with rifle buttstock but no ATF paperwork?

I’m with FatAlbert, I bet the barrel is 16” and the 4.5” is a small sliver of steel extending into the receiver.

Makes me wonder, if welding on a muzzle device counts as barrel length, could you weld on a coat hanger to the end of the barrel and bend it back. Bend it forward to reach 16”, lol.
Doubt it with how barrel length is measured.

Doubt it with how barrel length is measured.

ATF Standard Method to Measure Barrel Lengths
This is ATF's standard method for measuring the length of gun barrels - it has been documented to be the case for shotguns and rifles. I haven't found anything stating that this is the standard method for handguns, but technically it should be fine.

Procedure

1. Unload the weapon.
  2. Close the action.
  3. Cock the action (this is important - unless cocked, the firing pin will protrude from the bolt face and may not provide the correct measurement.
  4. Run a dowel rod of approximately the bore diameter, down the barrel.
  5. When the rod is down as far as it will go, mark the spot where the barrel and any permanently mounted attachments end on the rod. Screwed-on attachments do not count.
  6. Measure the length of the rod between the mark you just made, and the end which you ran down the barrel.

So adding a stick of metal or whatnot to the rear would not have an effect on measured barrel length.

Look son, a way to sell an AR 15 for more money ...

Look-Son.jpg

Read the letter that was posted. It was a pistol initially. Adding a VFG made it a firearm. Not a pistol, not a rifle. Pistols cannot have a VFG (become AOW), but this is 26 1/8" long, so it does not qualify as an AOW.

Back
Top Bottom