• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Franklin Arms short barreled firearm with rifle buttstock but no ATF paperwork?

Read the letter that was posted. It was a pistol initially. Adding a VFG made it a firearm. Not a pistol, not a rifle. Pistols cannot have a VFG (become AOW), but this is 26 1/8" long, so it does not qualify as an AOW.

An AOW doesn't have any length restrictions at all, so that won;t work. According to the ATF"

An AOW as defined as "any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive," other than a handgun with a rifled barrel". This umbrella definition includes many improvised firearms ("zip guns") and disguised firearms.

And I can't see how having it use a 'binary only' mode would help. The ATF already said binary triggers only shoot one round per trigger manipulation, so that's hardly going to change it's NFA status.

An AOW doesn't have any length restrictions at all, so that won;t work. According to the ATF"

An AOW as defined as "any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive," other than a handgun with a rifled barrel". This umbrella definition includes many improvised firearms ("zip guns") and disguised firearms.

And I can't see how having it use a 'binary only' mode would help. The ATF already said binary triggers only shoot one round per trigger manipulation, so that's hardly going to change it's NFA status.

Not a rifle, not a pistol, just like the Shockwave is not a shotgun.

No need for "binary only", just like a "machine-gun" is not full auto only, and can fire in semi mode and still be a machine-gun.

Not a rifle, not a pistol, just like the Shockwave is not a shotgun.

No need for "binary only", just like a "machine-gun" is not full auto only, and can fire in semi mode and still be a machine-gun.

The Shockwave only works because it's smoothbore. If it's a rifled barrel its either a 'rifle' or a 'pistol', no middle ground that I'm aware of.

On the trigger action, I guess my point was that it either way it's still NFA. In semi it's got too short a barrel and is an SBR, and if it's a 'machine gun' then it's NFA as well. I can't see how anything they do with the trigger would make it non-NFA.

Did you read the letter? If not, why are you arguing? It specifically says that submitted firearm cannot be concealed, hence not an AOW.
Assuming letter refers to the same Firearm, reasoning is clear. And there is NO mentioning of the binary trigger.
Again, stop speculating and read the ATF letter!

Length of 26.1" makes not a pistol, and non-conceability makes it not an AOW.
Since it is designed to be shot without shouldering, it is not a rifle either. It is just a firearm.
I cannot explain the "petent" though. It seems it would be easy to duplicate the same set up.

If/when it passes or however you want to look at it. They'll probably charge almost the same price as getting one stamped because of the novelty of it

The Shockwave only works because it's smoothbore. If it's a rifled barrel its either a 'rifle' or a 'pistol', no middle ground that I'm aware of.

On the trigger action, I guess my point was that it either way it's still NFA. In semi it's got too short a barrel and is an SBR, and if it's a 'machine gun' then it's NFA as well. I can't see how anything they do with the trigger would make it non-NFA.
It doesn't meet the definition of a rifle or a machine gun because of the function of the trigger. It's just a loophole in the way the definitions are worded proving the stupidity of these laws

Back
Top Bottom