• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frog Lube is probably coconut oil

Frog lube has performed well in multiple corrosion resistance tests. But I beleive the reason is that it forms a physical barrier. If you noticed, he described the FL as a filmy residue when he removed it. Similar to Oneshot in the other test. But corrosion resistance isn't the only factor that matters. Polymerization (which creates that physical barrier) is detrimental to lubricity.

exactly..

good old clear shoe polish or carnauba wax works very well as a corrosion resistor.

One shot makes a good release agent for glass bedding a rifle( just like clear shoe polish)

I will say the new WD40 stuff seems to be a real winner for corrosion resistance.

You know that residue you see in a seasoned cast iron skillet? That's polymerization.

Since Coconut oil has extremely low unsaturation I don't think you are seeing any oxidative polymerization with this material. As I have said before, other veggie oils like soy and canola have a higher content of unsaturated carbon chains that will polymerize. Generally speaking, you need at least 2 or more double bonds on a chain to auto-oxidate and polymerize. Crisco is a hydrogenated veggie oil meaning all, or most, of the double bonds have been hydrogenated to single bonds. That's why Crisco will keep forever without going ransid.

Now let me say this. I don't expect FL will do very well when you are using corrosive ammo. I have never tried it but this is what I am theorizing.... Corrosive ammo is corrosive because it leaves salt deposits behind. With the slightest amount of moisture in the air, these salts can react with the FL and make a soap. In and of itself, the oil is not corrosive to steel but when you make a soap, you liberate the individual fatty acid molecules which are very corrosive to steel. So will the corrosive salts alone rust your gun up... yes. Will the corrosive salts along with the reacted Frog Lube make the corrosion worse? I don't know but I bet it will.

With petroleum based lubes, there is no chance of these degrading to a more corrosive state. With FL and other veggie/ triglyceride based oils, you run the risk,

Just food for thought. I hate corrosive ammo....

Since Coconut oil has extremely low unsaturation I don't think you are seeing any oxidative polymerization with this material. As I have said before, other veggie oils like soy and canola have a higher content of unsaturated carbon chains that will polymerize. Generally speaking, you need at least 2 or more double bonds on a chain to auto-oxidate and polymerize. Crisco is a hydrogenated veggie oil meaning all, or most, of the double bonds have been hydrogenated to single bonds. That's why Crisco will keep forever without going ransid.

Now let me say this. I don't expect FL will do very well when you are using corrosive ammo. I have never tried it but this is what I am theorizing.... Corrosive ammo is corrosive because it leaves salt deposits behind. With the slightest amount of moisture in the air, these salts can react with the FL and make a soap. In and of itself, the oil is not corrosive to steel but when you make a soap, you liberate the individual fatty acid molecules which are very corrosive to steel. So will the corrosive salts alone rust your gun up... yes. Will the corrosive salts along with the reacted Frog Lube make the corrosion worse? I don't know but I bet it will.

With petroleum based lubes, there is no chance of these degrading to a more corrosive state. With FL and other veggie/ triglyceride based oils, you run the risk,

Just food for thought. I hate corrosive ammo....
I'm sure that I'm being overly simplistic, but was just trying to put it in laymens terms. You've got a better handle on the science than anyone else here, so I'll pose a question. When I used FL, it became very tacky over time. Many others have had a similar experience. What do you think would cause that?

Here is a chemistry lesson. Below is a triglyceride which all veggie oils are made of. The top chain is fully hydrogenated, ie. not going to polymerize. The Second chain is mono unsaturated, ie, still not very likely to polymerize. The last chain is poly unsaturated and will definitely polymerize. Coconut oil has mainly the top chain while lindseed oil has mainly the bottom chain.

Now, when this reacts with corrosive ammo it forms this.
upload_2016-2-25_16-50-50.png

These are very corrosive to steel unless FULLY neutralized.

I'm sure that I'm being overly simplistic, but was just trying to put it in laymens terms. You've got a better handle on the science than anyone else here, so I'll pose a question. When I used FL, it became very tacky over time. Many others have had a similar experience. What do you think would cause that?

Good question.
Here is a typical fatty acid distribution of whole cut coconut oil. You can see that 95% of the carbon chains are saturated and should not polymerize. There is, however, the 2% Lineoilec and 3% "other" which will polymerize. This percentage will vary based on region/season that the crop was grown in. This is probably where some of the tackiness is coming from. It is not very much at all but probably enough to feel.

I know I said that coconut shouldn't polymerize but keep in mind that all oils have a chain length "distribution" and there will still be some of the unsaturated chains in there. Coconut seems to have the smallest amount of unsaturation of most veggie oils but there is still some there in a small amount. Heat and oxygen will speed up the polymerization reaction. At work, we have to keep our soybean oil under an argon gas blanket to keep them from going ransid.

Type of fatty acid pct
Caprylic saturated C8 - 9%
Decanoic saturated C10 - 10%
Lauric saturated C12 - 52%
Myristic saturated C14 - 19%
Palmitic saturated C16 - 11%
Oleic monounsaturated C18:1 - 8%
Linoleic diunsaturated - 2%
Other/Unknown - 3%

Frog lube is the best for preserving guns that you don't shoot often. I've never had a gun gum up from FL.

I've never had a gun gum up from Breakfree CLP, FP-10, Slip 2000, Ed's Red, etc......

I've pulled guns out of the safe that haven't been fired in years and they ran flawlessly with the above lubes.

I've never had a gun gum up from Breakfree CLP, FP-10, Slip 2000, Ed's Red, etc......

I've pulled guns out of the safe that haven't been fired in years and they ran flawlessly with the above lubes.
Sometimes I prefer KY and sometimes I like petroleum jelly, others strawberry jelly

Here is a chemistry lesson. Below is a triglyceride which all veggie oils are made of. The top chain is fully hydrogenated, ie. not going to polymerize. The Second chain is mono unsaturated, ie, still not very likely to polymerize. The last chain is poly unsaturated and will definitely polymerize. Coconut oil has mainly the top chain while lindseed oil has mainly the bottom chain.

Now, when this reacts with corrosive ammo it forms this.
View attachment 690579

These are very corrosive to steel unless FULLY neutralized.

And this reminds me why I didn't do well in chemistry class...

But you're ok in my book because you mentioned soap!

My sig line says it all...

Back
Top Bottom