• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frog Lube is probably coconut oil

This discussion has me wondering about how good old Castor oil would work in a gun. :confused:

You got me curious. Perused a few internet blogs and found this. I cannot testify as to the veracity of the statement, nor do I know the author.

"And castor bean oil is still used for model airplane engines. While it may be gunky and have a high pour point, the lubricity and tenacity with which it bonds to metal are unexcelled."

This discussion has me wondering about how good old Castor oil would work in a gun. :confused:
That would be interesting. There is little saturation with castor oil so it probably wouldn't get too terribly sticky and gum up. Castor oil is pretty unique to all other veggie oils in that it is mostly ricinoleic acid that has an alcohol in its carbon chain. This gives it better low temp properties and it tends to stay liquid down to a lower temp; however, the alcohol group tends to like water more than the oil but I don't think it will be enough to matter. See the following paragraph from Wikipedia.

Vegetable oils like castor oil are typically unattractive alternatives to petroleum-derived lubricants because of their poor oxidative stability.[28][29] Castor oil has better low temperature viscosity properties and high temperature lubrication than most vegetable oils, making it useful as a lubricant in jet, diesel, and racing engines.[30] The viscosity of castor oil at 10 °C is 2,420 centipoise.[31] However, castor oil tends to form gums in a short time, and therefore its usefulness is limited to engines that are regularly rebuilt, such as racing engines. The lubricants company Castrol took its name from castor oil.

"Oxidative Stability" means the polymerization reaction I was talking about with the unsaturated chains.

Somebody try it! It will probably be better than canola or others.

Back
Top Bottom