• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frog Lube is probably coconut oil

And, yet, I see several of these tests. How does one explain these? (Seriously asking, not being a SA.)

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the article, just quoting it.

I don't use any plant or vegetable based oils, what I use I've used for a long time, and it has always worked, no matter what I've used it in; revolvers, pistols, MG's, shotguns, SMG's, carbines, bolt actions, single-shots, folding knife mechanisms, etc. Excellent lubricant and corrosion preventative. I've had no reason to switch to anything else because I honestly can't see any other lube doing any better. Works as good or better than everything I have ever used.

I apply it how I want, no prep necessary, no special solvents needed, if I feel like adding more to a fouled weapon, I can do so unreservedly. Costs me approximately $30/gallon.

Not arguing or anything, just endeavoring to explain why I use what I use and why I don't use or like other options. I personally don't care what others use, unless you're a student of mine and your malfunctioning firearm causes issues in my class. If a student of mine needs lube during a class, I offer them the Ed's Red I mix and use, or FP10 (got a free gallon jug of it).

I have not made lubricants a study of mine. The long discussions, arguments, and studies quite frankly boggle my mind. If I have a lube I've used for a decade, in every conceivable type of firearm, been exceedingly happy with every single facet of it, where is my reason to spend time studying others? That's time better spent on tactics and techniques, IMO.

Hope I didn't come across as condescending, argumentative, or whatever tweaks someones' sensitivities, as that is not my intent.

Firearms lubrication is SO SIMPLE.

Hope I didn't come across as condescending, argumentative, or whatever tweaks someones' sensitivities, as that is not my intent.

Firearms lubrication is SO SIMPLE.
Not to ME! Hard to argue with your logic posted above. I guess Firearm cleaning and lube is like the cosmetics for the ladies. Something new comes along every few months, everybody HAS to try it and either hates it, loves it, or is indifferent. The common thread is that none of it is really "new" and comprehensive testing and evaluation is nearly impossible. I wonder how FL would work on crow's feet and laugh lines.;)

And, yet, I see several of these tests. How does one explain these? (Seriously asking, not being a SA.)

Frog lube has performed well in multiple corrosion resistance tests. But I beleive the reason is that it forms a physical barrier. If you noticed, he described the FL as a filmy residue when he removed it. Similar to Oneshot in the other test. But corrosion resistance isn't the only factor that matters. Polymerization (which creates that physical barrier) is detrimental to lubricity.

Frog lube has performed well in multiple corrosion resistance tests. But I beleive the reason is that it forms a physical barrier. If you noticed, he described the FL as a filmy residue when he removed it. Similar to Oneshot in the other test. But corrosion resistance isn't the only factor that matters. Polymerization (which creates that physical barrier) is detrimental to lubricity.
Getting way over my head here...

cmshoot cmshoot I've thought about using Ed's Red many times. But the health effects of ATF have always pushed me away. Especially since I run a suppressor most of the time.

I'll admit, never studied that and has never concerned me. I never thought I'd live half this long. With all the hairy stuff I've done, if it's my gun lube that kills me.......well, I guess I've got it coming.

If the ATF bothers you, leave it out or just run straight motor oil. All Ken Hackathorn uses is straight motor oil, probably been using it since about the time I was born.

Back
Top Bottom