• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frog Lube is probably coconut oil

Isn't the MPro7 non-toxic ? I think I've got some somewhere around here. Ive heard good things about it too.

The main reason I like FL is that it is basically harmless. I have a mint 1957 Browning A5 that I cleaned with Hopps a few years back and got careless with it and messed up some of the beautiful finish. Makes me sick every time I get it out.
Yes, I believe it is. It works fairly well. But it seems to burn off faster than FL or FC, especially when suppressed. On the other hand, I've never heard of anyone ever having an issue with it gumming or thickening. I have heard of maybe one or two issues with FC, but they've been extremely rare compared to FC complaints and I have yet to see it in person.

The MPro7 solvent is definitely non toxic and works extremely well. It's my go to cleaner. And rumor has it, that MPro7 solvent and lube are the exact same product as the Hoppes Elite products.

Half of me thinks that the reason non toxic alternatives like MPro7 and Slip don't get discussed like FL and FC, is simply due to better marketing.

I do now. But to be honest with you I'm a bit skeptical of it. I started using FL before they had a solvent. The directions basically said to just use FL CLP and eventually it would illuminate any residual petroleum products. I have found guns that I've cleaned to have a " swirle " for lack of a better word of grease, oil or carbon. Whatever it was. But it never caused an issue or made any of my guns sluggish. To be honest I was kind of impressed by it. It seemed to be self cleaning or at least that was my impression. This was only visible in my AR's and its damn near impossible to get the 100% clean.

I tend to use the paste to clean but put the liquid in the range bag. And apply it liberally while they are hot. At least a few times. After they have been through that process a few times I wipe them off pretty good and run dry. But they will self Lube and sweat when heated up.

On my bolt guns I run a bore snake with FL down the barrel while it is still hot.
I was just curious. I have the solvent and attempt to use it. Like others say, it seems like it's just water and doesn't really do much. Nothing like Nitro Solvent or Carbon Cutter. But then again, what stuff there IS, comes off easily with a rag anyway. Based on what others have said about gumming and what is on the FL website describing how the system works, I just wondered if the solvent helped avoid the "polymerization" others have experienced.

As for me, I did the initial application on a factory new gun after wiping everything with denatured alcohol. My routine has seen me through a carbine class in June heat and Ft Benning Multigun in freezing start temps and about a half dozen other 3gun matches in all weather in between. I experienced one FTF at the top of the very first mag and none since.

In addition to being impressed with the results of the tests I posted earlier, I was attracted to FL for the more pleasant smell and non-toxicity.

Copious amounts of synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil left over from changing my oil - Before, during, and after shooting.

I figure since it gets slung off, burnt off, drips off, and the weapon gets wiped down intermittently while shooting and reapply lube why buy some overpriced, itty-bitty bottle of wonder jizz? Just keep whatever you're shooting lubed.

If I have a firearm with a "delicate" finish, like nickel or Browning's old French gray finish, I use Ballistol to clean. Again, a non-toxic formula and it's been around since before WWI.

It's non-toxic but tastes bad.......

This is some pretty interesting reading. I've long suspected that the FL was either inconsistent or had changed over the years. I used to wonder if I had received a "Bad batch". And it may explain why my experience was different than others. I had also heard from some industry folks that Seal1 and FL were the same product, with a different color and scent. This article goes a long way to explaining what's been going on behind the scenes. It may not be the whole truth, but I bet it's pretty darn close.

https://granitestateguns.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/froglube-and-seal-1/#comments

This is some pretty interesting reading. I've long suspected that the FL was either inconsistent or had changed over the years. I used to wonder if I had received a "Bad batch". And it may explain why my experience was different than others. I had also heard from some industry folks that Seal1 and FL were the same product, with a different color and scent. This article goes a long way to explaining what's been going on behind the scenes. It may not be the whole truth, but I bet it's pretty darn close.

Thanks for that.

I have always thought FL sucked, now it looks like the guy who owns FL is a douchebag, F frog lube & its owner.

I have always thought FL sucked, now it looks like the guy who owns FL is a douchebag, F frog lube & its owner.
I know I've railed against it in the past, but I really did give it the 'ole college try. But only because someone I trusted, recommended it. Much like my girlfriend in college, I eventually came to my senses and dumped it.

Back
Top Bottom