• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frog Lube is probably coconut oil

Froglube gave me cancer.

Not to derail or sidetrack this thread, but thanks for your fashion sense!

I went into Dobbs Defense to have the upper, lower and forend Cerakoted on my DRD Tactical Kivaari .338 Lapua. Was gonna go with a shade of brown I had been eyeballing, but instead used your "Sharpshooter Bronze". Very nice!

I did get a nasty rash from what I thought was the Frog Lube on a gun I traded for, however upon more research I believe is was caused by the wood grips on the Kahr K9 in question. I ordered the fancy wood grips for my Kahr from Kahr and from what I now know the wood they use is a close relative to poison ivy.....which is exactly what the rash was like.
That's nuts!

Not to derail or sidetrack this thread, but thanks for your fashion sense!

I went into Dobbs Defense to have the upper, lower and forend Cerakoted on my DRD Tactical Kivaari .338 Lapua. Was gonna go with a shade of brown I had been eyeballing, but instead used your "Sharpshooter Bronze". Very nice!

LOL, I can think of no greater honor than having a cerakote color named after me. :becky:

I have used FL for several years now. I make no argument that it is better than anything else at anything else. It does however do what it says it does. And once it's been applied it makes clean up quite easy. What little effort is put into heating ( I use a desk lamp ) is returned many times over by quick and easy clean up. I've used it on probably 40 guns. I especially like it on semi autos. I've done everything right ( by the direction ) and everything wrong. I have used both paste and liquid. I have pour it to my hot AR's and pistols. Put them up dirty. Put them in a freezer over night and have never had a malfunction.

It is safe. It won't damage any wood finish on firearms or anything else. I can clean guns at my desk in the house without having to open all the windows. If I spill it, I just wipe it up. If the dogs get to it before I do....no big deal.

Those that claim it has gummed up, are a very small minority compared to those of us that continue to use it with no ill effects. I have reached out to a few folks that make this claim but strangly enough. Nobody can direct me in how to reproduce their claim. I don't worry myself with what others use, but got concerned when I started hearing about the issues. I have done everything I can to reproduce these issues with no luck.

I realize it's not for everyone. And some don't like the price.

I've never quite understood why some folks put so much energy into trying to convince others to like what " they " like. Just human nature I guess.

If anyone wants to put the time and effort in to doing a study on it. I will provide it. With these threads popping up over and over, I think it would be cool if a couple of the more reputipal members did an unbiased study.

Mine have been rather crude and unscientific, but with no bad results.

I have used FL for several years now. I make no argument that it is better than anything else at anything else. It does however do what it says it does. And once it's been applied it makes clean up quite easy. What little effort is put into heating ( I use a desk lamp ) is returned many times over by quick and easy clean up. I've used it on probably 40 guns. I especially like it on semi autos. I've done everything right ( by the direction ) and everything wrong. I have used both paste and liquid. I have pour it to my hot AR's and pistols. Put them up dirty. Put them in a freezer over night and have never had a malfunction.

It is safe. It won't damage any wood finish on firearms or anything else. I can clean guns at my desk in the house without having to open all the windows. If I spill it, I just wipe it up. If the dogs get to it before I do....no big deal.

Those that claim it has gummed up, are a very small minority compared to those of us that continue to use it with no ill effects. I have reached out to a few folks that make this claim but strangly enough. Nobody can direct me in how to reproduce their claim. I don't worry myself with what others use, but got concerned when I started hearing about the issues. I have done everything I can to reproduce these issues with no luck.

I've never quite understood why some folks put so much energy into trying to convince others to like what " they " like. Just human nature I guess.

If anyone wants to put the time and effort in to doing a study on it. I will provide it. With these threads popping up over and over, I think it would be cool if a couple of the more reputipal members did an unbiased study.

Do you use the FL solvent?

Hey davans, welcome to the discussion. You and I have been down this road before. I truly do not doubt your experience with FL. It's worked well for you. And you know that I had an opposite experience. I'm glad you're here to offer a counterpoint, beyond "they must not be smart enough to apply it right". The folks that I know who had an issue, including myself, obviously can't explain the why or how. It just happened.

I moved on to try Fireclean. And I honestly still consider it in the testing phase. That's sort of silly, after almost 2 years without a hitch. But I find myself just waiting for a problem. If one ever crops up, I'll drop FC like a hot rock. And I'll say the same things I've said about FL. Until then, I'll keep using the couple of bottles I have until they run dry. And even then, I don't know if I'd buy it again. Not because of any problems, or even the cost. But because I've grown really tired of the wonderlube game and all the claims made by manufacturers and users alike. Once it's gone, I'll probably just go back to whatever I've got on hand, like Slip2000, weaponshield, MPro7, etc.

Do you use the FL solvent?

I do now. But to be honest with you I'm a bit skeptical of it. I started using FL before they had a solvent. The directions basically said to just use FL CLP and eventually it would illuminate any residual petroleum products. I have found guns that I've cleaned to have a " swirle " for lack of a better word of grease, oil or carbon. Whatever it was. But it never caused an issue or made any of my guns sluggish. To be honest I was kind of impressed by it. It seemed to be self cleaning or at least that was my impression. This was only visible in my AR's and its damn near impossible to get the 100% clean.

I tend to use the paste to clean but put the liquid in the range bag. And apply it liberally while they are hot. At least a few times. After they have been through that process a few times I wipe them off pretty good and run dry. But they will self Lube and sweat when heated up.

On my bolt guns I run a bore snake with FL down the barrel while it is still hot.

Hey davans, welcome to the discussion. You and I have been down this road before. I truly do not doubt your experience with FL. It's worked well for you. And you know that I had an opposite experience. I'm glad you're here to offer a counterpoint, beyond "they must not be smart enough to apply it right". The folks that I know who had an issue, including myself, obviously can't explain the why or how. It just happened.

I moved on to try Fireclean. And I honestly still consider it in the testing phase. That's sort of silly, after almost 2 years without a hitch. But I find myself just waiting for a problem. If one ever crops up, I'll drop FC like a hot rock. And I'll say the same things I've said about FL. Until then, I'll keep using the couple of bottles I have until they run dry. And even then, I don't know if I'd buy it again. Not because of any problems, or even the cost. But because I've grown really tired of the wonderlube game and all the claims made by manufacturers and users alike. Once it's gone, I'll probably just go back to whatever I've got on hand, like Slip2000, weaponshield, MPro7, etc.

Isn't the MPro7 non-toxic ? I think I've got some somewhere around here. Ive heard good things about it too.

The main reason I like FL is that it is basically harmless. I have a mint 1957 Browning A5 that I cleaned with Hopps a few years back and got careless with it and messed up some of the beautiful finish. Makes me sick every time I get it out.

Back
Top Bottom