• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Installation

The installation was done correctly, Blue Ridge EMC. A Generac dealer installed a new "motherboard" or control panel 7 years ago. It worked for about 5 months. The last Generac dealer was here last year (same problem) control panel bad again. Both repairmen stated that these units are known to have control panels that go out...It sill has only 3 hrs total run time from the "auto starts". This same dealer said to replace panel & labor would be: $950. Or they could sell me a new whole house "20kw" for approx. $8,000. installed & they would take away my old (8yrs. "20kw") for me! What a deal. I would then have $16,000. put into 2 units. Side note, an attorney from California called me to ask questions about my experience with my Generac. Something about a class action lawsuit that is being started. P.S. When I called LOWE'S to get Gen replaced or repaired they said we have nothing to do with it as you purchased it from LOWE'S Website Online!!!

If I could find an Electrician that would take off all of the electronic garbage of of this unit, I'm sure it would run fine manually.

Maintenance on that type equipment is expensive. It is a luxury item, and you pay a luxury price for it.

I was responsible for a backup unit like you see at big office buildings and hospitals.

Very expensive for routine service, and the control boards were a problem, especially when thunderstorms are common.

A total stand alone unit on its own electric bus should be more reliable, but no one does that.

The installation was done correctly, Blue Ridge EMC. A Generac dealer installed a new "motherboard" or control panel 7 years ago. It worked for about 5 months. The last Generac dealer was here last year (same problem) control panel bad again. Both repairmen stated that these units are known to have control panels that go out...It sill has only 3 hrs total run time from the "auto starts". This same dealer said to replace panel & labor would be: $950. Or they could sell me a new whole house "20kw" for approx. $8,000. installed & they would take away my old (8yrs. "20kw") for me! What a deal. I would then have $16,000. put into 2 units. Side note, an attorney from California called me to ask questions about my experience with my Generac. Something about a class action lawsuit that is being started. P.S. When I called LOWE'S to get Gen replaced or repaired they said we have nothing to do with it as you purchased it from LOWE'S Website Online!!!

If I could find an Electrician that would take off all of the electronic garbage of of this unit, I'm sure it would run fine manually.

Forgot to mention that the company that said they could install the New replacement said that they would remove the old generator & haul it away for FREE!! How lucky I would be...

here at the farm i lose power a lots and sometimes it stays off for hours. so i had canter power system put a generac generator on my house. i went with the 20kw to run the whole house. now when i lose power the generator comes on, the ac/heat and all other things in the house works just like i got power. canter came in a did everything, site survey, georgia power approval, generator pad, gas lines, electrical boxes/switches, etc.... there is lots to do to get it right. all i had to do was pay them. real easy. i was going to do it myself, but now after seeing all the things that has to be done i am glad i did not. canter gives a 10 year warranty on the system. all i have to do is to have them service the generator once a year to keep the warranty.

To sidestep utility Company and County involvement and reduce cost, I created a sub panel (emergency panel) and the sub-panel is on the automatic transfer switch to be fed by either the Utility or generator. The essential loads are intercepted in the main panel and re-tapped to the sub panel fed from a single 2p breaker in the main. This makes it easy to do a monthly test run by simply switching off the emergency panel and letting the generator ATS do it's thing.

My generator is a 9kw kubota diesel with a 60 gallon base tank. the enclosure leaked and was tedious to access the package for maintenance, so I eventually built a semi-shed/gazebo and it is so quiet. We are at the end of the utility line and sometimes the line will be down between me and my nearest neighbor only effecting me. This unit has run for weeks straight during hurricanes, and for days when we are away from home, without fail.
New Kubota Diesel Generator.JPG
gazebo.JPG

Back
Top Bottom