• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Weapons Laws Booklet

I was in the the store this weekend and saw a Police Captain,I asked him about some Georgia Gun laws. He wasn't clear on
a lot of them himself. That is crazy. How can a Captain of Police not know the carry laws. I think a lot of them are
made up as they go along .My old carry permit use to say Firearms License.When I was was in Newyork my permit
said Concealed Handgun Permit. My updated permit says Georgia Weapons Carry License. It seems to suggest that I
can carry anything that is considered a weapon and this License will cover me. It dosen't state on the permit that I can
conceal a weapon.It seems to be a bit confuseing.I was also told that if I have a Hunting License on my possession
I can carry a Handgun in a holster expossed without a Georgia Weapons License. I could go on for ever about what
was stated about Georgia Handgun laws.I guess my question is were did you get you information from for this pamphlet.
I was told that the best way to find out the laws about Georgia Handguns is to go to your Local Probate Court,even then
it may be diffrent County to County. What should we do. How do we protect ourselves from doing the wrong thing?

That's a good observation about the police captain being unsure of the law.
But depending on what you asked him, there may not have been a simple answer. There are MANY questions about Georgia's gun laws (or federal gun laws) that I don't feel comfortable answering off the top of my head, without quickly refreshing my memory of the laws themselves by finding them (often there is MORE THAN ONE statute that can apply to a certain situation) and skimming/ reading over them again.
Before Dan and I wrote this book, I used to have a folder stuffed with print-outs of all the gun laws (and bills-- the actual acts of the legislature that later brought about the changes in the laws) that I had printed over the years. Those print-outs and my notes in the margins and at the bottom of the pages, and all the chatting Dan and I have done about guns and gun laws here and on other websites (like GeorgiaPacking.org, and Mark Solomon's "Packing.Org" before that!), and various internet databases and legal sources for statutory law and caselaw all formed the basis of what's in the book.
Now when I want to look something up, I grab the GEORGIA WEAPONS LAWS book.
I think every supervisory police officer or "training officer" should have this book in the trunk of their car or in a desk drawer back at the station.

I was in the the store this weekend and saw a Police Captain,I asked him about some Georgia Gun laws. He wasn't clear on
a lot of them himself. That is crazy. How can a Captain of Police not know the carry laws. I think a lot of them are
made up as they go along .My old carry permit use to say Firearms License.When I was was in Newyork my permit
said Concealed Handgun Permit. My updated permit says Georgia Weapons Carry License. It seems to suggest that I
can carry anything that is considered a weapon and this License will cover me. It dosen't state on the permit that I can
conceal a weapon.It seems to be a bit confuseing.I was also told that if I have a Hunting License on my possession
I can carry a Handgun in a holster expossed without a Georgia Weapons License. I could go on for ever about what
was stated about Georgia Handgun laws.I guess my question is were did you get you information from for this pamphlet.
I was told that the best way to find out the laws about Georgia Handguns is to go to your Local Probate Court,even then
it may be diffrent County to County. What should we do. How do we protect ourselves from doing the wrong thing?

Here's a pic of the cover of the Second Edition.
That's Dan's compact 1911 leaning on the statute of the scales of justice.

Did you have to put a Kimber on the front cover? As a Glock guy I feel discriminated against. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, it looks like a good reference. I wish you would publish on Kindle so I can have it readily available on my Android when I am out and about. I don't know if you can do updates on Kindle books, but that would be nice if you could update it for a small additional charge.

Have you thought about a supplement guide to cover new law changes so those with an out of date edition can keep up without having to buy a complete new book?

Three more points:

1-- In 2010 our state's carry permit became necessary to carry a big knife (blade over 5"). Since it was not just for handguns or "firearms" anymore, the new name of the license became a GWL or GWCL. Adding the word "carry" in there was another helpful change to let people from out-of-state know that this isn't a permit to own a gun or buy a gun, but indeed a carry-in-public permit.

2-- Georgia has a preemption law that stops any government entity other than the State Legislature itself from regulating the carry of weapons. For the purposes of that preemption law (16-11-173), the term "weapon" means the very broad and inclusive definition found in the school zone law, 16-11-127.1. So it covers all knives with a 2" or longer blade, other cutting and stabbing weapons, any blunt-impact weapon like a club, any firearm, and even stun guns or Tasers. The only commonly-carried defensive tools that this preemption law doesn't cover are chemical sprays (MACE, O.C. pepper spray, etc.)

3-- Our booklet is over 150 pages long, so it's not really a pamphlet. The best way to learn about Georgia gun laws is to buy the book and read it! There's a page near the front called "WHERE to Start Reading" which suggests which laws are the most important ones to read first. After you read those, you can go back and start reading the book from front to back, taking each Code section in numerical order as they're listed in O.C.G.A.

QUOTE: Have you thought about a supplement guide to cover new law changes so those with an out of date edition can keep up without having to buy a complete new book?

ANSWER: There's no way that would work for the huge number of changes brought on by this year's new laws. Hundreds of lines of text had to be changed. Your First Edition does have a dozen pages near the front summarizing what HB-60 does to change our laws, and also what HB-826 will do if it is ever recognized and implemented as "the law" for school zones. We figure that for big changes like this, you'll want the new book that puts those changes into each and every Code section, from cover to cover.

As for an e-version, we're looking at our options for that, but it's probably not something we will have in the near future.

QUOTE:
Did you have to put a Kimber on the front cover? As a Glock guy I feel discriminated against!

ANSWER: My S&W revolver wouldn't stay put when propped against the lady justice statue, so you get a pic of the gun that behaved the best during the photo shoot!

But seriously, if you like this book and think a Georgia-based gun company like GLOCK would want to promote it, sell it, give it away as a promotional item, etc. CALL THEM and SUGGEST IT. If they agree to buy a bunch of them, I'm sure we can make up a special press run with one of your Glocks on the cover !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Bump, and an invitation to come meet the authors tonight at Bass Pro Shops, at the "Sugarloaf Mills" mall off I-85 in Lawrenceville.
I'll have my own dog-eared and annotated copies of both the first edition and the new second edition of these books for anybody who would like to flip through one.
Dan will be talking for an hour about emergency and disaster prep, and then I'll do an hour-long presentation on Georgia weapons and self-defense laws, and then it's Dan again for the final hour, which will be about situational awareness.

The class is great. I enjoyed the situational awareness part and learned some stuff about carry laws too.

Azznik, thanks for the positive feedback on the class at Bass Pro.

Dan4010 and I are doing it again, but this time just 2 hours instead of 3. And it starts at noon, not at night.
12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m. at Bass Pro Shops in Lawrenceville at Discover Mills mall off Sugarloaf Parkway and I-85 (also off Hwy 120).

This Saturday, May 16th. One hour on gun laws (mostly about carry, but some info on buying, possession, use in self-defense, etc.) One hour on preventing yourself from becoming a crime victim-- spotting trouble and having plans to react to trouble, as well as some discussion of urban survival and preparation and emergencies other than bad guys attacking you.

Hey everybody, here's a BUMP with some NEW NEWS ---

The Second Edition of the Georgia Weapon Laws booklet is now on Amazon.com.
The book is 170 pages long and gives both the text of all those 70+ Georgia laws that deal with firearms, weapons carry, and self defense. Each law is followed by a layperson's summary that explains of the law in easy to understand language and cross-references other Georgia laws that need to be considered with that particular law to understand the law completely.

Most of the book the O.C.G.A. code sections are in plain text; however, we use bold, italics, and underlining to emphasize certain words or phrases that we feel you should clearly note.

This book has a reciprocity map, a summary of major federal gun laws, and a "where to start reading" section pointing out laws that the most importance for readers who are just beginning to study Georgia's gun laws.

For those who want to use this as a reference book to look up a particular Code section when a question arises, the laws are arranged numerically by Code section.

This book has a separate section near the beginning talking about two recent and very important gun bills that were enacted recently-- HB 60 and HB 826, both of which were signed by the Governor in the spring of 2014 and took effect (although for HB 826 very little of it was put into effect!) July 1 of last year.

We have over a dozen retail dealers that stock these books in the metro Atlanta area and one in Garden City, and if you are near one we encourage you to support local businesses.

For those who are outside of the metro Atlanta area or whose local gun stores or survival /prep stores don't carry the book, now Amazon.com will send you one.

Please inform your friends and family members who are gun owners about this book's availability. It is a useful book for newbies and casual gun owners as well as seasoned gun rights advocates and politically-savvy armed citizens.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Weapo...36832030&sr=1-1&keywords=georgia+weapons+laws

Back
Top Bottom