• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting a ragtop...Audi A4 or Mercedes 320 Cabriolet?

Have you looked at or thought about a Toyota Solara...not the coolest looking cars, but a four seat, drop top and it's a Toyota?

I started looking more into the Solara after your post. I just skipped them for looks and "Toy factor" from the outset. After looking at them more they seem less like a rag top and more like a Camry that Toyota decided to cut the top off of to get market share. They are reviewed as having soft suspension and steering and civilized power. The plan is to get a car that will slip between my motorcycle, which I am selling/trading and my Avalanche, which is fun to drive sometimes but sucks gas. The Audi, Mercedes and BMW all carry the prestige to varying degrees. The Sebring I had was comfortable and cool and got great gas mileage but broke down twice in the year I had it.

So far:

Audi - Love the cars but so many reports of mechanical issues. And one of the transmissions is legendary for needing work(and I don't know which is in what car). Even Letusbuyyourcar, who loves them, says you have to budget for maintenance. That is intimidating. I buy insurance but damned if I want to be thinking about fixing something with every paycheck that I set aside repair funds from. I think Audi is out of the running. Sadly.

Chrysler - Even my own experience was riddled with mechanical issues. And it really lacks the toy and prestige factors I want for this purchase. Sebring parked.

Any and all "Roadsters". Not for me. Tight fits, PITA entry/exit. Uncomfortable over long drives. And I WILL be taking the ragtop on the Florida vacations. Besides...I'm 52. If I got a tiny little roadster people would just think I'm having a midlife crisis. I actually bought my motorcycle as a "damn near ended my life but survived crisis". Had a heart attack and after recovering I swore I'd ride again. Well, I did. Now I want the fun of the open wind without the rain in my face, complete lack of cargo space, standing up all the time, etc, etc... So the convertible purchase is actually a step TOWARDS maturity(small step admittedly), not a retreat from it. Roadsters out.

So what's left?

BMW - I hear voices saying "No!". And my wife and I both find most BMWs boring looking to some extent. But they (like Mercedes) are legendary for both needing few repairs and costing a fortune when they do. They are soft spoken class with a touch of sportiness.

Mercedes - Best for last. And I think the fact that I feel that way is significant. I appreciate all the input and advice and I hope to get more but I think I just answered my own question by talking through the rankings. I just WANT a Mercedes. Hell, with any luck I'll have the second heart attack before it needs any repairs. LOL.

Don't know how much of a rush you are in to buy, but my suggestion is to take the time to cruise the Merc, BMW and Audi forums. I've owned BMW's for years and have had very good luck with them. The forums will give you insight as to which models/years to avoid, potential issues and buying tips. You can also learn of maintenance issues and costs going forward after you buy. My opinion is that Mercs and BMW are easier DIY maintenance/repair cars than Audi - depending on your abilities and access to tools. The local BMW Car Club of America chapter has been a great resource of information regarding places to bring your vehicle for repairs where you wouldn't get ripped off. They also were a source for parts buying and had many members who were willing/anxious to give you a hand with repairs/upgrades.

My best advice is take you time and research each model you're interested in. There are solid cars out there. The Car Clubs are a great place to source the car you are looking for. If people are a member of the respective club, they typically have taken great car of their car and know of good cars available for sale.

As I stated in my earlier post, get as much service history info on a car as you possibly can. Again the guys in the car club usually have a stack of records for what's been done. I know I do.

PS: Proximity to a good non-dealer repair shop that specializes in repairing the car you eventually choose is also something to consider.

Good luck!

I've owned & looked at various cars in that price range over the years. More often than not ended up with Mercedes, last one was an 02 CLK 55 AMG. A bit above your price range, but at the 7k level they're all going have plenty of miles on and be a bit of a c**p shoot.

None of them are real 'luxury' cars, you're buying entry level vehicles. I'll go out on a limb, the next one I'll try is an 04 or newer XK8 or XKR if I can find one. 04 on they finally resolved the Achilles heels that was the cam chain tensioner, other than that, from what I've read, reliability's ok. I'd consider an earlier, (and cheaper), one if they had the bills for the upgraded tensioner installation. It's a potential do it yourself job if you don't want to shell out $1500 to get it done.

I know I made my decision...(I think. LOL), but I've been reading about the Mercedes naming convention and trying to get a handle on the specifics. And, as StuP said, the CLK is not exactly top of the line for Mercedes. So, with the added cost of import(especially Mercedes) parts and labor, I might do as well with a domestic. And even though I had problems with the 1999 or 2000 Sebring I had this damn 2008 Retractable hardtop is pretty damn awesome to me.

Decisions in flux...again. LOL.

Nothing wrong with domestics but Chrysler??? I think you are over thinking this
Probly...LOL

How about a Volvo?

volvo.jpg

I'm tellin ya, these retractable hardtops are getting under my skin. And the Volvo and Sebring are the only two I have seen that still have some trunk space with the top down. Actually, ALL the other retractable hardtops I've seen are roadster sized. Oh and I hate Volvo just for the liberal factor of the brand.

Probly...LOL

How about a Volvo?

View attachment 1146187

I'm tellin ya, these retractable hardtops are getting under my skin. And the Volvo and Sebring are the only two I have seen that still have some trunk space with the top down. Actually, ALL the other retractable hardtops I've seen are roadster sized. Oh and I hate Volvo just for the liberal factor of the brand.
Nope. I love the old Brick Volvos that were rear wheel dr8ve. But I've seen way too many S60 and S80 models with blown engines.
Here's a pick that I think we all forgot about. If you want the Mercedes drive train without paying for the badges then why not consider a Crossfire? The advantage I see there is since they were discontinued the prices fell and they have probably already bottomed out on depreciation. They're good looking cars too.

Haven't found a BMW with the retractable hardtop yet. But from what I've seen they have zero trunk space when the tops down. The Sebring and Volvo(still can't believe I'm even considering Volvo) both have decent space in the trunk even with the hardtop stowed. And since the plan is to take the vacations in Florida in the rag top it matters. BUT, as much as I like the hard tops I may go with the soft top to get a car that otherwise would probably be a better choice anyway.

How bout an El Dorado? I love the ones from the 90s and early 00s. The ragtops were coach works built and they're not all that many of them but I like them. Only downside is stay away from anything with the Northstar engine

Back
Top Bottom