• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting started reloading

kc30121

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
76   1
Reaction score
Ok I know I think I’ve asked this before but I can’t find the thread so I’m cleaning out my 12x24 shed and making a work area and want to set up a very basic reloading station.
I don’t need anything crazy. I know I want to use a single stage press and just want to reload my main rifle and 44mag ammo. There is a ton of info online but I just want what I need and I have no idea what that is other then the obvious stuff.
I have my own brass that I keep from when we shoot.
What’s the basics I can get away with for reloading? Is there a big difference in brands of presses?

Interested in this as well. I know ZERO about it or the process. I was at Field and Stream yesterday looking for some buckshot for my 13 gauge and started up a convo with a employee there. He showed me a 1.5 minute YouTube video he made of this machine he used that seemed like it was almost an “all in one” system...once section removed old primer, adds new...rotate it, fills it with exact powder amount, rotate, seals the bullet and then spits it out. Yeah I know...the above is super technical speak lol

Start out with a basic single stage press and a set of Dies in a simple caliber (Preferably pistol) as there is not as much concern about length of cases etc. You will need a way to measure powder and a good basic reloading manual. I suggest a basic reloading scale instead of relying on powder measures. Read some basic reloading manuals and start with the lowest powder loads until you know how to develop loads. You will need powder and primers which are hard to find right now. I would suggest a dial caliper to measure the overall length of the rounds. Load a few and try them out. As you start learning you can proceed from there. Us SAFETY and CAUTION (Always). Be sure what you are doing at all times. Its a lot easier than it sounds. Good Luck. I started Reloading while stationed in Germany in the early 70s and have always totally enjoyed the experience.

Best info I can give you is buy two reloading manuals and read them. My first press was a Lee 1000 progressive. If you are a mechanical person starting on a progressive won't be a problem. Good beginner presses are Lee turret and RCBS Rock chucker. You can buy a Rock chucker kit for $200-$250 that will have just about everything you need to start loading.
BUT... Buy a book and read it first

It never hurts to have more manuals. Lots of free load info from powder and bullet manufacturers on the net as well.

I disagree with most here. The true question isn’t whether ur new. The true question is how often will u be shooting what u load and are u looking to stock up? If so...just go right into the deep end with a 650 Dillon or hornady LNL

Back
Top Bottom