• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting Started

jwhited

Default rank 5000+ posts
Smelly Pirate Hooker
169   0
Reaction score
Is there any value in getting a "reloading kit" vs the individual components for a person starting off with nothing? I feel like I'd be quickly replacing the less-efficient tools in the kit. But at the same time, I'm not sure what all parts and tools I would need.

Let's say I get all the case clean, prep and priming stuff I need. Beyond that, what else will I need?

Oh, and by the way, Chuckdog.. I met an older fella in GA Gun Store that mentioned that he wanted to meet you. Unfortunately I don't remember what he said his name was.. But he really hated Taurus. :lol:

Is there any value in getting a "reloading kit" vs the individual components for a person starting off with nothing? I feel like I'd be quickly replacing the less-efficient tools in the kit. But at the same time, I'm not sure what all parts and tools I would need.

Let's say I get all the case clean, prep and priming stuff I need. Beyond that, what else will I need?

Oh, and by the way, Chuckdog.. I met an older fella in GA Gun Store that mentioned that he wanted to meet you. Unfortunately I don't remember what he said his name was.. But he really hated Taurus. :lol:

Before I worried about a press kit I'd make sure I could get the dies, powder, bullets, primer and cases. Nothing sadder than having a press set up and nothing to do with it.

But when you are ready, a kit is helpful. If there are things in there you don't use you can always trade em.

The basics for loading rifle: press, good(quality) caliper, trimmer, deburring tool, primer pocket cleaner, priming tool, die set of your choice, case lube, powder scale, bullet, powder, primer and your probably going to want a tumbler and media. The same for pistol except you might be inclined to get a carbide die set to skip the lube. For both: Reloading manual and good working knowledge of the process. If you need to view a setup or see the process I would be happy to help you.

Last edited:
Any love for the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit? Or is there another one I should look into?

I use a Lee Turret and Challenger Single Stage but I have heard nothing but positives for that press. I've never seen anyone say anything bad about em.

I agree about the kits. No one manufacturer makes my favorite tools.

As for presses, it's the features and characteristics they have that make or break them for me.

I like and use a lot of RCBS equipment, but I'm no fan of their presses. It's not just theirs, but any press that cams past TDC at the top of the stroke.

Just a useless feature that makes die adjustment much more involved than necessary.

I use a Lee Turret and Challenger Single Stage but I have heard nothing but positives for that press. I've never seen anyone say anything bad about em.

I agree about the kits. No one manufacturer makes my favorite tools.

As for presses, it's the features and characteristics they have that make or break them for me.

I like and use a lot of RCBS equipment, but I'm no fan of their presses. It's not just theirs, but any press that cams past TDC at the top of the stroke.

Just a useless feature that makes die adjustment much more involved than necessary.

Until now. And I trust chuckdog's opinion.

I started with the Supreme Master Rock Chucker kit. It is a good kit. It has served well. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the Challenger or Classic Cast kit from Lee. The new Challenger presses are excellent and make the older Challengers look like toys from Fisher Price. I am not a fan of the cam over feature of the RCBS. I do, however have the Classic Cast single stage set up for pistol ammo and the RCBS (the one I started with) set up for rifle. Figure it would be the other way around right? One day. I recently got the kit from Lee for a buddy of mine and was very impressed with the quality and improvments Lee has made with it. The most important thing is a manual There are folks who will tell you that the internet is as good as a manual. I disagree. Nothing will replace a manual for info and the tangible property of holding a book in your hand to relate to and study. I have about 12 of them and they all are a little different. I would suggest the Lyman 48 or 49, the Lee 2nd Edition or the Speer manual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom