• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Go Fund Me!!! WTH?

Do you randomly support Go Fund Me's for people that you don't know?

• Every time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When funds are readily available

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Only if I know the person

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Not my horse, not my farm!

Votes: 44 67.7%

• Total voters
I help when I believe your story and I’m financially able to help. I have no idea how many times I’ve been scammed and I don’t care. I made a bunch of selfish decisions in the 80s and 90s that I’m trying to cancel out.

Hope there haven't been too many scammers here but I remember a few who've taken help but then posted later about guns they bought or put on layaway (at the time of the requests) etc., that has turned me off contributing as much as I have in years past. If you have money for firearms, you have money for things you need.
I remember years ago, a young guy at work, new hire, broke his leg at the hip water skiing. Sick pay ran out pretty quick, Some of the bleeding hearts started a fund to help the poor young married man and his wife out.
Couple of months later, he returned to work…. Driving a brand new Pontiac Grand Prix….

Go to FB Marketplace and look at all the ads people post for handouts.

Typical: Hello I'm a single mother with 4 kids and just moved to this area and have no job. We have nothing and need everything like furniture and clothes for my kids.

I have never picked up and moved my family on a whim with no plan and certainly never asked for freebies.
Tit for tat. If you're a slightly attractive female you can make more on OF with feet pics than asking random strangers to give you something for nothing. The homeless hoard in Athens has made me a Scrooge.

I agree-So many scams trying to pull your emotional heartstrings and also people with no accountability asking for money now adays for stupid situations they've gotten themselves in--it's just a real easy way to ask for money

BUT

The only gofundme i've recently participated in was to a friends wife in Atlanta whom got car jacked and run over with her own vehicle last year.

She ended pulling through and recovering

He's a Brit and helluva good guy. We used to rie motorcycles together ect. They would always offer their place if I was working in Atl and needed a place to stay. They ended up moving to rural TN and enjoying a quieter life up there.

Summary: so basically the only way i'll send money is if I know the person or its a friends family thats in need for a good reason.

Yeah it's definitely being abused. I can't stand it. It's turned in to the replacement for having backup/emergency funds for things like home repairs/car repairs. But now you see a lot of people using it for unexpected tragedies. Like in place of insurance. So I get not everyone can afford it, but it blows my mind how many people I see post something where a spouse died who was the main bread winner, and they had no life insurance. You bet I'm going to cut back on other stuff to make sure I can pay for life insurance. I'm not leaving my family hanging or to have to rely on a GoFundme...

Go to FB Marketplace and look at all the ads people post for handouts.

Typical: Hello I'm a single mother with 4 kids and just moved to this area and have no job. We have nothing and need everything like furniture and clothes for my kids.

I have never picked up and moved my family on a whim with no plan and certainly never asked for freebies.
I see these a lot too, and then I've seen where members recognize the people and call them out for selling said items on FB Marketplace that they just had donated. People are ****ty. I've honestly stopped helping folks because of stuff like this. A lot of them are just out there to rip people off. Same as the folks begging you to knock $$ of something you have for sale because they're broke and their kid needs it. Then they turn around and flip it for a profit...

Back
Top Bottom