• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good .308 AR10 for around $1500?

Are you 100% sold on the 308? I went through the same thing several months back, and I just decided I didn't want to lug around a heavy 308 all the time in the woods. And I've never cared for the 308 recoil when hunting pigs where you can get multiple shot opportunities.

I started looking at the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel, and I chose the 6.5 after shooting them side by side. Lighter weight, less recoil, it'll take any game in GA that the 308 will, and you can buy cheap Wolf ammo for plinking. All my 308s are gone except one.

If you're 100% sold on 308, then I'd look at the AP as others have suggested, or maybe an Armalite for mid range cost. I'd stay away from the DPMS, and I haven't really kept up with the PSA, but they're generally hit or miss.
When you start taking game with it, let us know how it does. What length barrel? The only thing that has kept me from building one of my own is the cartridge's need for longer barrels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When you start taking game with it, let us know how it does. What length barrel? The only thing that has kept me from building one of my own is the cartridge's need for longer barrels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's what kept me from as well it until I started doing the research. The 6.5 actually performs quite well out of a short barrel, and I'm using a 12". All my hunting is done at 200 yards or less, and most is within 100 yards.

Unfortunately I got in on a Faxon group barrel buy, and it was delayed so the barrel is arriving next week. At this point I'm not sure if I will have it ready in time for deer season so I might just set it up for hogs and yotes at night. But yeah I'll post my results once I get it out.

Build your own for around 1,800. Get the best of both worlds. World class accuracy from semi-auto and you know exactly what's in it.
20160228_174918.jpg

Attachments

• 20170908_111340.jpg
    20170908_111340.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9
Does it have to be an AR-10? I tested many and they were nice . I went with the PTR-91 for a few reasons. HK factory mags are dirt cheap ($3) . It's reliable and accurate . I got the rifle NIB for under $1k

If you like Id be happy to let you give mine a little dance . It eats all ammo types .

CB81D1AE-9663-4C94-83E7-6FA04188DE2C.jpg

Reactions: MRH
Are you 100% sold on the 308? I went through the same thing several months back, and I just decided I didn't want to lug around a heavy 308 all the time in the woods. And I've never cared for the 308 recoil when hunting pigs where you can get multiple shot opportunities.

I started looking at the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel, and I chose the 6.5 after shooting them side by side. Lighter weight, less recoil, it'll take any game in GA that the 308 will, and you can buy cheap Wolf ammo for plinking. All my 308s are gone except one.

If you're 100% sold on 308, then I'd look at the AP as others have suggested, or maybe an Armalite for mid range cost. I'd stay away from the DPMS, and I haven't really kept up with the PSA, but they're generally hit or miss.

Honestly, I don't know if an AR .308 is what I really want, but I think I do. I have fired an HK full auto in .308 and experienced major tunnel vision while firing it. It was so rough in full auto the only thing I could think about was the trigger and what was right in front of me. I lost all thought of what was around me. It didn't physically hurt to shoot it or anything, it was just very hard to control well. It was all I could do to control that thing.

The experience showed me that a .308 full auto may not be the best option in a shoulder fired rifle. LOL

The weight of the rifle won't bother me too much. I am a walker, but have carried a heavy rifle all my life, and prefer a little weight on my fire sticks.

But yeah, all in all your post makes a lot of sense to me.

I love the look of the PTR 91's but they don't really have a record for great accuracy. A hell of a lot better than a AK47. I think they hold a 1.5-2.0 MOA. IF it's just a hunting rig it's fine.

HK91/G3 clones do well in filling the role for a robust, reliable battle rifle that is cheap and easy to maintain. For long range accuracy I would recommend a 308 AR.

I am going through a financial crisis at the time ( just had a couple of unexpected expenditures ) but after I get done with this DMR 5.56 I am a hair from finishing I am thinking of a AR10 platform in 6.5 Creedmore. I am just hearing to many great things about the long range efficacy of this round. If I build it like I did my .308 it should be a tack driver over a tremendous amount of distance.

Back
Top Bottom