• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got any old mag rim cleanup and restore tips?

IMG_9451.JPG

Best stuff out there. Then polish away. Advance carries it.

hit one with oven cleaner and a plastic brush followed up by steel wool. needs some more work and then I'll massage it with Mothers.

View attachment 1189930
It's too late now, but you shouldn't use steel wool on aluminum, or stainless steel, as it will leave behind tiny particles of steel, which will rust, making discolored spots in the finish. Scochbrite would be better.

It's too late now, but you shouldn't use steel wool on aluminum, or stainless steel, as it will leave behind tiny particles of steel, which will rust, making discolored spots in the finish. Scochbrite would be better.

it's stainless steel wool.

I knew you were going to say that(started to ask). Really just trying to point it out, to someone else, that didn't know. I've heard horror stories about people that used regular s/wool on a s/s gun, and ruined it.:)

It is worth pointing out. Frigging standard steel wool will rust if your beer sweats on it!

I'm going to hold off until Tuesday to do anything else. I want to get the old tires pulled off so I can get at them easier.

I picked up some faded and tarnished old school slots for my Cj. I figure a looooot of time with Mothers mag polish and maybe an orbital buffer will get these back into shape but was hoping maybe someone has a super duper, easy ,no sweat trick to restore the shine. (I can hope!) Any sort of blasting (sand, walnut, soda) that would restore a shine?

View attachment 1188944
I have used that mag cleaner when I used to restore and clean up old dirt bikes. You may have to partially dilute it depending on how much you want to clean. It doesn't discolor as bad a other acidic cleaners.

It is worth pointing out. Frigging standard steel wool will rust if your beer sweats on it!

I'm going to hold off until Tuesday to do anything else. I want to get the old tires pulled off so I can get at them easier.
You're on the right track. Once you get the tires removed, hit a small spot with Mother's polish and an old t-shirt. You'll be surprised with the results.

hit one with oven cleaner and a plastic brush followed up by steel wool. needs some more work and then I'll massage it with Mothers.

View attachment 1189930

We had some old AMERICAN MAGS, which were actually magnesium, they were 48 years old, put them on my truck, put the truck on jack stands with the tires rotating and used 2,000 - 3,000 grit sand paper in about 30 minutes on the four mags, then put some wax on them, looked better than the day we bought them way long ago, friend of mine looked at them and paid top dollar and put them on a '67 Chevy II it was triple black, 327cui, 350 hp, that car looked great. And it would haul the groceries home very quickly.

just an idea that worked for me very well...

Back
Top Bottom