Graylaser engraving!!!

Very good looking and price is awesome. Ok, tell me your thoughts on this... When I built my SBR, I used a Spikes lower that has a serial number starting with "SBR" .... So, when I sent in my forms, I listed Spike's as the manufacturer, not me, and they accepted all of that. So, what I'm thinking is that maybe I don't have to have it engraved because my tax stamps match what's on the gun already... Am I correct in this or just uninformed and need to get it engraved with the "... Revocable Living Trust"??? Thanks!

Was yours a factory SBR made by Spikes or is the serial number prefix" SBR" just a coincidence?

I had a few of the Spike's stripped lowers that started with SBR....that has nothing to do with it actually being a factory SBR just because the serial number starts with SBR. You purchased it as a stripped lower and not a complete SBR.

factiry SBR, theirs that are going to be SBR's start with SBR... But, I bought mine new as just a complete lower, I guess they made more than they used. My upper is an AAC, and didn't come with the lower...

So when you bought it, it was transferred an a Non NFA item correct? If so, it's not a factory SBR. A factory SBR lower would have been transferred to you on a form 4. That being the case, you register it on a form 1 and should have it engraved with your information. You are now considered the manufacturer when you convert it to a registered lower via form 1.

Very good looking and price is awesome. Ok, tell me your thoughts on this... When I built my SBR, I used a Spikes lower that has a serial number starting with "SBR" .... So, when I sent in my forms, I listed Spike's as the manufacturer, not me, and they accepted all of that. So, what I'm thinking is that maybe I don't have to have it engraved because my tax stamps match what's on the gun already... Am I correct in this or just uninformed and need to get it engraved with the "... Revocable Living Trust"??? Thanks!

Yes if your lower has their original mfg and serial, you must use their information. When you fill out a form 1, you become the mfg so your trust or personal info (whichever you use to register the sbr) must be engraved on your lower. You only put your trust or personal info in the first section that asks for applicant. You don't list it anywhere else on the form, that's reserved for your lower original mfg info like caliber, length, city and ect...

Yes you're suppose to engrave your trust info. If you sell your lower down the road and the next person form 1, they must engrave their info. So if your lower pass thru 10 hands and those 10 people form 1, it will bare all of the 10 trust or personal info. That's why most sbr form 1 is hard to resale. No one wants to buy a lower that has "Tom Cruise" engraved on the lower hahah.

FYI, even if your trust says "revocable living" in the title, its not required on the engraving just the trust name and the word "Trust."

Really? I thought it had to engrave exactly how it is shown on the form 1... If I knew that, I wouldn't have had it engraved but oh well, I'm not selling it anyways so.

Yes you're suppose to engrave your trust info. If you sell your lower down the road and the next person form 1, they must engrave their info. So if your lower pass thru 10 hands and those 10 people form 1, it will bare all of the 10 trust or personal info. That's why most sbr form 1 is hard to resale. No one wants to buy a lower that has "Tom Cruise" engraved on the lower hahah.
Are you sure about that? I'm not an NFA expert, but that doesn't seem right. Why couldn't you buy it and have it transferred on a form 4 from whomever originally registered it (manufactured it into and SBR)? You would still have to register as the new owner, but would it really have to be re-engraved?

Are you sure about that? I'm not an NFA expert, but that doesn't seem right. Why couldn't you buy it and have it transferred on a form 4 from whomever originally registered it (manufactured it into and SBR)? You would still have to register as the new owner, but would it really have to be re-engraved?

You are correct, there is no need to engrave anymore. The only engraving that is necessary on the lower is the original manufacturer, and, if different, the person who made it an SBR. It would then transfer to anyone else on a normal form 4 just like any other nfa item. Your engraving is not to show ownership, its to show who made it.

Scenario 1: You buy a factory SBR for James at CAW. On the lower, only his info is engraved, because he is who "manufactured" the firearm, and in the same act made it an SBR by filing a form 2. It would transfer to you on a form 4, and no engraving would be needed. When you sell it, it would transfer on a form 4 with no other engraving needed.

Scenario 2: You buy a stripped lower. Whoever made it originally has engraved their info on it. You fill out a form 1 to make an SBR. You get it engraved with your info as you "made" it an SBR. You get approval and slap on a <16" upper. When you sell it, it transfers just like scenario 1, on a form 4, and no additional engraving is needed.

Well. I was referring if the owner wants to skip the NFA process by just selling the lower by itself and new owner files for sbr. Of course, the original owner could transfer on form 4 which means no more engraving but they would have to wait 6 months.

Or you could do what Quiet stated. Just depends on what the buyer wants. If they don't want to wait, could just do another form 1 meaning he would have to engrave the lower. If he can wait, he could do form 4 which means no engraving but they would have to wait for approval.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom