• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gun will shoot its own hole out its a tack driver

Yeah, everyone seems to have sub-MOA guns. This puzzles me, who has been handloading for 25 years, owns a chronograph, buys top-shelf optics, and struggles to get guns to consistently put five shots on point of aim, in under an inch at 100. It took lots of hours and lots of gas, never mind hundreds of dollars of bullets/brass/powder to get there. Everyone else seems to get 'em straight from the store, with a Tasco scope, $10 rings, and shoots bugholes...

I guess I'm wasting my money on Farrell bases and Nightforce scopes.

I'm exaggerating of course-- I know the people are full of it. Just because your gun occasionally puts three near each other, somewhere on a target, it's NOT an "MOA" or "single hole" gun. Got to be at least five, and got to be the same place relative to POA every outing.

Note the 2-click offset so as to not blow away my aim point.

Georgia Gun Club, Wednesday. Five shots at 100 yards. View attachment 1923595

22-250?

What gets me are the guys who shoot 50 groups of 3 shots each over a few range trips.
Most of those three shots form a triangle with the longest side being 1.75" long.
But ONE, just one, of those groups has the 3 holes cloverleafed, and it's only .33" center to center.
So they'll round that down and say they have a "quarter-minute of angle" rifle.
Sure... their gun did that ONCE out of the last 50 attempts.

It might not shoot such a group again until you've thrown 300 more bullets downrange.

Ever heard of ... luck?
The same wind that blows your bullet off-course to the right can also take your too-far-left bullet and blow it back to your aiming point!
That pulse from your fingers that raised the gun's muzzle a half-minute at the moment the bullet exited the muzzle could have, through luck, been negated by a faulty powder charge that reduced your velocity on that shot, preventing the high hit you deserved.

knew a guy that could shoot quail in flight with a 22 rifle and hit every aspirin thrown in the air with any BB gun you handed him.

Back
Top Bottom