• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun in car without GWL

I thought the car was considered an extention of the home?

I would be more comfortable with this interpretation for someone over 21 having a weapon in the car without GWL. May be in the grey. May depend on the LEO and/or the judge. I would rather err on the side of caution than to run the risk of being unable to get a GWL forever.

OCGA 16-11-126 (a)

You can carry in those places if you are eligible to OWN a firearm. Home, property, motor vehicle, and place of business.

If you are ELIGIBLE to own, then you can carry in those places.

The requirement that you must be eligible for a GWCL was taken away in SB308, in 2010.

Join GeorgiaCarry.Org

Learn the laws and stay up to date on what is happening. We would love to have you.

Jerry

This also means, that legally, an 18 year old that is eligible to own a firearm, may carry in his or her motor vehicle.

This has been discussed here also.

Jerry

If your name is on the title, then you own the car and it's an extension. But if daddy's name is on the title although you are primary driver, you don't own that vehicle.

That seems unusual. In most cases a driver is considered to have dominion and control over a vehicle, regardless of who the registered owner is.

Following that logic a police officer could never ask a driver for consent to search a vehicle unless he was the owner because he wouldn't have standing, and therefore could not give consent to search another person's property.

Strange law. :suspicious:

That seems unusual. In most cases a driver is considered to have dominion and control over a vehicle, regardless of who the registered owner is.

Following that logic a police officer could never ask a driver for consent to search a vehicle unless he was the owner because he wouldn't have standing, and therefore could not give consent to search another person's property.

Strange law. :suspicious:

I could be wrong, that's how it was explained to me when I asked one time because I don't own a vehicle......It's in my woman's name, but it's my Heep.

Is this legal to use in your car if you don't have a GWL? I know you can't have your handgun concealed in your car unless you have a permit, is this open enough to be considered legal and not concealed?

Yes it's legal.

You can conceal it in your car without a GWL also. You just can't carry it concealed outside your car or home without the GWL.

Back
Top Bottom