• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun in car without GWL

OCGA 16-11-126 (a)

You can carry in those places if you are eligible to OWN a firearm. Home, property, motor vehicle, and place of business.

If you are ELIGIBLE to own, then you can carry in those places.

The requirement that you must be eligible for a GWCL was taken away in SB308, in 2010.

Join GeorgiaCarry.Org

Learn the laws and stay up to date on what is happening. We would love to have you.

Jerry

GeorgiaCarry.Org is a wonderful resource that we are lucky to have. Although we thoroughly discuss these laws & much more in our classes we emphatically recommend to EVERY student we have to study that website along with the actual O.C.G.A codes.

They have led the way in lobbying for our rights for quite some time.
I joined awhile back & encourage all of those who haven't to do so.

What if I am eligible in that I am not a felon etc but I am not 21? You can buy a handgun at 18 in a private sale, and I thought you could have a loaded handgun in your car as long as it was visible and not concealed. Is this holster considered "an open manner fully exposed to view"? I do not carry a handgun in my car, but I would like to if I know for sure I'm not committing a crime.
if you are not 21 you cannot carry a handgun under any circumstances, this includes transport if im not mistaken

This post...
From gacarry.org

Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

Conflicts with this post....

No license is required:
1. To carry a firearm, openly or concealed, in one’s home or place of business.
2. To transport a firearm, unloaded, enclosed in a case and separated from ammunition, provided the possessor is not ineligible to obtain a license to carry.
3. To transport a loaded firearm in a private motor vehicle, provided it is carried in an open manner fully exposed to view, or is in the vehicle’s glove compartment, console, or similar compartment.
I think in all cases, you would have to be eligible to get a GWL, even if you don't have one.

If you are OVER 21 and do NOT have a GWL can you or can you not 'carry' or have an arm CONCEALED in your private vehicle?

From gacarry.org

Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

No license is required:
1. To carry a firearm, openly or concealed, in one’s home or place of business.
2. To transport a firearm, unloaded, enclosed in a case and separated from ammunition, provided the possessor is not ineligible to obtain a license to carry.
3. To transport a loaded firearm in a private motor vehicle, provided it is carried in an open manner fully exposed to view, or is in the vehicle’s glove compartment, console, or similar compartment.
I think in all cases, you would have to be eligible to get a GWL, even if you don't have one.

That would be the glove compartment portion, right?! I would say, "Yes."
No, the first post says it's legal for someone over 21 to carry concealed in their car. The second post says it must be in plain view or in a glove compartment (or like) only. So you could NOT carry concealed. They are different on that point (which is a pretty big one IMO).

Car, Home or place of business you can carry un restricted, as long as you are not illegal to own the fire arm in the first place.

GCO is the best resource for carry info, and I refer people to them regularly. I also encourage as may people as possible to support them as possible.

I guess it was easy enough to look up the code (as it was posted in this thread).

§ 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

Back
Top Bottom