• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has the internet killed the gun shows?

With 3 show promoters in Georgia and a weak economy no good vendors can afford to come to shows here. I've asked many a dealer if they've tried shows in Georgia and they say that they have but with the poor show facilities and lack of advertising, it's not worth the gas for them to come here when they can stay closer to home and do better. The company I work for does shows all over the southeast and several in the Midwest, and the shows in Georgia are by far the worst. The promoters in Georgia are only concerned with filling tables up and getting your money at the door. Shows in North Carolina, Florida, Oklahoma, etc are much better and bigger. The promoters there weed out the flea market dealers and actually promote the shows, which brings in more people which brings in better dealers. I get so sick of the Eastman bashing on the price fixing, we've never once in 3 years been told where to price anything. I personally think Eastman is the biggest ass ever but that's beside the point. Most dealers have to buy new and sell at retail prices especially the smaller dealers. Just like everything else the more you buy the better deal your distributor will give you on the guns or ammo etc. Dealers are constantly dealing with price increases and shortages from their distributors which gets passed on to the consumer. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you guys don't have a right to complain about prices. I figured a little insight definitely couldn't hurt. But right or wrong the dealer knows his cost and what he has to make to keep going. The company I work for went from 3 employees a year and a half ago to 12 employees with the associated expenses. To see a REAL gun show everyone should take a trip to Tulsa, OK to the Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show. It's the largest gun show in the world with over 4,100 tables in a 11 acre building. We have 4 setups and use radios to communicate at that show. It's a sight to see.

To answer the op's question..No, gun shows are killing themselfs. If anything folks are more educated of what prices should be through the internet.

1/2 hour drive (average) to get there.

At some, 10 minutes spent trying to find a parking space.

10 bucks to get in.

1/2 hour drive home.

Cost of 15 bucks or so, and an hour's time, under best circumstances, to look at LESS selection than the Net offers, at higher prices than the Net.

No thanks.

And Cokes are not a buck fifty each, at my house.

Lakeland, Fl gun show drinks are $3 but just down the hall from the concession stand is 5 drink machines that are $1.25. Every time I go out to get a drink or anything I tell people in line about the machines. Makes the concession people mad as heck. I just smile

All of my friends that do not really own guns and/or know about them always want to go. They want to see and handle all kinds of guns. A lot of the sales I see at them are first time gun owners who just pay what ever they are asking. Once you learn to buy guns online the shows have nothing to offer. I went about 8 months ago to the one in forest park and made a very fair offer for a Kahr cm9 and the guy seen I was looking on cheaper than dirt and proceeded to try and give me a economics lecture and then tried to tell me that no FFL will do a transfer from the big websites for less than $60. He asked me about my business and I told him that if my business was not able to compete it would fail, laughed and walked away.

Back
Top Bottom