• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Has there ever been a bad BBQ joint thread here?

It seems obvious but what makes great BBQ? I know what it means to me but what specifically does it mean to you.
Time and effort. And love of cooking with indirect heat and smoke. Pride in your product, deserved.

So much "bbq" today is made for cows munching their daily fodder. People who think McDonalds serves hamburgers.

I disagree with you on this. Is it because they tend toward beef rather than pork? I like a lot of styles of barbecue and Texas has got to be the brisket capital of the world.
I'll concede Texicans can put a hurtin' on a cut of beef most would grind. My post was really a 'poke' since I have a lot of friends from Texas.

BBQ is one of a few things that are truly universal. Good is good. Its not an opinion. The right salt, sweetness getting along with the smoke, juicy chunky and that velvet that only comes from melted collagen and fat. That takes time, patience and juggling 4-5 other things to get right.
Keep in mind that making it in your back yard and being to serve small amounts when you are damn good and ready is very different than opening the doors with a full menu and it being consistently high quality when you don't know what, when or how much will sell. That to me is real magic. And why the best places keep the offering to 10 or less items and that includes the banana pudding and sweet tea

thatcher's is no good. they do not have a fire pit. cook in a large oven inside. no good.

the best is lyerly drive thru. they have armstrong's bbq and ribs. a armstrong family member is cooking and it is the best.

all other places in chattooga county is not worth the money. the same in the rome area. cho-cho bbq in walker county is okay most days.

hard to find good bbq these days.

Back
Top Bottom