• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you broken the "rules" when reloading??

Have you done any of these things while reloading?

• Had the TV or radio running in the background.

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • Watched a TV show or movie.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Had a few alcoholic drinks while loading.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Reloaded something while already under the influence.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Some other distraction.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I never have ANY distractions while I reload.

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
I wonder how many wildcaters got their ideas and loads after shooting a bunch and drinking a few.

NOT TO SAY I advocate loading while drinking. I mean works for me, but I'm good. j/k just in case somebody fails to see the humor. Not j/k about the wildcatters.

I don't see anything magical or inherently dangerous about the loading process, any more than any number of day to day activities, such as using a kitchen knife, mowing the lawn, driving a car, etc. I've been known to have a beer or two while loading, just like any other activity, the key is knowing when to stop. Some folks handle distractions better than others. If you need a perfectly sterile environment to load, fine. I wouldn't load in the middle of a family reunion or a keg party, but a few distractions are going to happen. Manage your process so that you have multiple redundant safety checks, use some common sense, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I let my kids help me reload. I think my 8 year old could probably load some decent pistol rounds by now. I do, however check after him on each step to make sure he did it right. My 4 year old could care less about the loading process but he does really like to put the finished rounds in the plastic cases for me.

I have started reloading rounds for my wife's daily carry gun. I hand weigh each powder charge and make sure each round is 100% before I hand them over to her to put in her pistol. If she's gonna carry a gun, I want her to have the best ammo possible for her firearm.

Another thing I've started doing is visually inspecting the powder level of each case before I seat the bullet. This way I can make sure I didn't miss the powder step before I press in the bullet. I did have one .45 auto round go dud on me at the range. After I got the stuck round out of my chamber and used my bullet puller hammer to extract the bullet, I realized that I had left out the powder. The primer had only enough power to push the bullet up against the riflings and completely freeze up the action. I had to bump the slide more than a few times to get the stuck bullet off the riflings.

I prep cases while looking backwards texting on 285 at 230 in the afternoon after leaving the bar on a holliday.. but i FOCUS when dispensing my powder by volume!

No,really, i have an out building i do everything in. I cant figure out a charge if i have had a few.. so cant really get hurt.. and i do like to drink, come to think of it, i am sure i have had a drink while loading.. but i load mostly high power rifles and would like to think id notice a double charge, cause my cases are pretty tight to start with.. to eliminate this. Reloading relaxes me, a lot like a cold brew.. so i guess ill keep my routine.:) but it is something to think about. Good Poll!

Back
Top Bottom