• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me with my friend car, he's a handicap Vietnam Vet's and the car has sat for 5 years, what to do first.

It's a Toyota and not an 83 Caprice. Fuel tank is almost certainly a plastic tank so rust won't be an issue. It may or may not have a fuel filter. I'm not sure what year car manufacturers stopped putting fuel filters on. I would give it a visual inspection to make sure there isn't a rats nest in there. The cabin air filter area where the blower is located is a popular area. I wouldn't expect coolant hoses to be completely shot in only 5 years. I also wouldn't expect the rings to be seized up. Put some fresh fuel in it, make sure there is oil in it, fresh battery, and crank it up. Once confirmed it'll run, that's when I'd change the oil and other fluids in it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will pull the plugs, doesn't seem to be too har, put a little out in them cylinders, replace the battery, change the oil and look for rodents. I'll keep you posted.

Check wiring for signs of rodents. Change the oil, probably needs a new battery, dump the fuel if you can and replace it. Couple bottles of Lucas injector cleaner in a fresh tank of gas. I'd also drain the radiator and flush the block and radiator out. Probably an iron engine block so it'll have some rust which will end up clogging the radiator as it cycles through there. 5VZ engine maybe??

Check all lights and all fluid levels, wipers, wiper fluid pump/pressure. Tires, possibly a bit of rot from sitting for years......those need checked too.

Being a 99 with only 40k, my main concern would be the original timing belt. Luckily its a non interference model. Drive it til its coasts.

I would probably start it and drive it to Carmax for a quick sale...its a Toyota, jump that sucker off and cash it in.

Back
Top Bottom