• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with Geo Tracker Crankshaft

letusbuyyourcar

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
203   0
Reaction score
Okay after trying to find another one when I have the money I've found a 91 Tracker with 4WD. Actually my old landlord up in Perry found it and snagged it for me. But it needs a crank. Yeah I could just do a junkyard motor but there are only about 3 showing in all of GA and they're all miled up. So last week the mechanic got the motor out and said it needs a crank. The main reason it needs a crank is due to a boogered up keyway where the balancer goes on that was later welded. It's going to the machine shop tomorrow but I don't know if there ís any fixing that. None of the major retail parts sources have a crank available including Rock Auto.com and eBay motors. So now what?

Well I CAN get one through Bumper to Bumper for $480.00 plus a $125.00 core. And they're very picky about the core so I could be out the core charge too. So what does the smart money do in this situation? I plan on keeping this Tracker from now on so I want it to be right. But damn I'm a poor broke cracker too.

Basically they would have to weld up the damage, grind it back to the proper specs and make sure it is still balanced right. It might be cheaper/ faster if you buy one

Basically they would have to weld up the damage, grind it back to the proper specs and make sure it is still balanced right. It might be cheaper/ faster if you buy one
This ^^^

We have that done too many shafts at work. Seems to hold up well.

My question is, why did you pull the motor? Was it running really rough?

706-295-3121
Give Larry Smith, owner of Larry Smith Auto Machinel Shop in Rome a call. Been doing auto machine shop work for 40 yrs. if it can be fixed he can fix it. If a new one can be found he will find it.

Thanks for the input y'all. Yes the engine is out on the stand right now. There is a new crank down in Jacksonville for like $480.00 with a $125.00 core. The old crank is going to a machine shop in Perry today to get checked out. I'm hoping for the best. These cranks are few and far between.

Any thread started with "Geo tracker" ...

files.sharenator.com_KILL_IT_WITH_FIRE_FUNNY_FORUM_PICS_s500x350_132460.jpg

i worked with a guy years ago that had a civic
with a rounded keyway. he was desperate and
needed a quick fix so i more or less welded the
pulley to the crank.

like i said he had zero dollars and the car was
all he had so i helped him out. it held for a
long time.

i remember it popping up on craigslist years
later with a broken t'belt. i remembered it because
it had a horrible rolled on rustoleum paint job.

These cranks are few and far between.

Nyet. ALL of the Suzuki 8 Valve I4 motors are the same. Suzuki Sidekick (rebadged as your Tracker), the Swift, Metro, etc. Any of those cranks, heck, the entire engine will cost less than $500.

These are actually fun, easy little engines to work on.

www.suzuki_forums.com_gallery_images_36278_1_trackerMotor9.JPG

^^^brah,you got a
F-riggin'
r-uined
a-nother
m-otor
oil filter on there, if we've learned anything from
the other threads posted,only sheltered breeder
home depot shoppers use them.

i like the way you built your benches btw.

Back
Top Bottom