• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

Not a centerfire, but a Keltec PMR 30 makes a great backpacker gun.

Spend the time to learn to load the magazine correctly, shoot it accurately, and it is something to contend with.

31 rounds x 320 ft/lbs muzzle energy = not that bad

And you can shoot a squirrel or a grouse for the pot with a fmj without much meat destruction.

The fmj's work pretty good on hogs to boot!

(It weights about 14 ounces empty)

IMG_20210325_161623164.jpg
1911 long slide 10mm. If you're going to be a bear be a grizzly!

I’ve spent most of my life hiking/camping/hunting in mountainous bear/cougar country and have only come upon 2 bears, both ran at the sight of me, and I’m in my 40’s. I carry my edc sig 365 9mm since I’m more concerned with 2 legged threats than 4. Bear spray is good to have but a good dog is even better!

I’ve spent most of my life hiking/camping/hunting in mountainous bear/cougar country and have only come upon 2 bears, both ran at the sight of me, and I’m in my 40’s. I carry my edc sig 365 9mm since I’m more concerned with 2 legged threats than 4. Bear spray is good to have but a good dog is even better!

Do dogs deter black bear? Just curious as I will start to hike heavily in the N. GA and will bring my 80# dog.

Do dogs deter black bear? Just curious as I will start to hike heavily in the N. GA and will bring my 80# dog.
Dogs can deter bears, off leash dogs can actually bring the bear back to you and then its a toss up what kind of bear encounter you will have. East coast (Ga bears are generally shy) Rocky Mountain black bears have killed people. More people are attacked by Black bears than others. Generally if a black bear attacks, it is a predatory attack meaning it has made its mind up to kill you. A woman in Durango was just killed by a black bear while out with her dogs, the theory is the dogs were off leash (they returned home without leashes attached) and the bear and 1 year old cubs were following the dogs and encountered the human. It is a toss up whether this was a predatory or defense of cubs attack, but they did feed on her so it is theorized they were stalking the dogs and the human was easier to catch.

Anything you may encounter on the east coast can be deterred or killed with a 9mm and up with the right loads. Animal encounters in the rockies especially in grizzly country you should consider a minimum of a magnum load 44 mag is the minimum and up in pistol calibre. A shotgun with slugs (Brenneke Black Magic) or large calibre rifle capable of shooting a heavy cast load (45/70 etc) is good as well.

In the Rockies I carry a 44 mag and usually have a shotgun with slugs nearby either slung or on the ATV etc. When wading/fishing I take the 44 mag, hiking in heavy brush the shotgun and handgun goes with me.

Alaska its the shotgun or rifle since pistols are almost impossible to drive thru the border.

I also carry bear spray and it is my first line of defense to deter the bear along with loud yelling etc.

If you have to kill a grizzly in defense of person especially in Alaska be prepared to also skin/take the head and claws and report it to authorities, they will investigate it and it is required where possible, if you wound the bear and it departs, you are obligated to try to find and finish the bear because a wounded bear is very dangerous to humans.

my choice, pardon the laughing in th background, th Taurus Ultralight 44 mag 4", it'll shoot 44 slp, 44 mag, or 44 shotshell, and one or the other would handle all occasions, bears, birds or nakes.
The Taurus, although cheap has taken over 200 mag rounds and still looks like new so, it's lots less, weight, and may or not use at all, status will be an accessory, not a main weight bearing item of a hike, known or expected predators are another issue, Rifle deserving, Kel Tec SU16C, 5LB, takes AR mags and 223 or 556, folds for backpacking

Back
Top Bottom