• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

History of the M-14

It's a shame that the rules of competition keep the wealth of real world improvements in M14 EBR accuracy & reliability that have been proven on the two way range out of competition.

As a Semi automatic firearm it is one of the best rifles ever made.

IMG_0148.GIF

It was a disaster in semi auto too. It was a maintenance hog, heavy, and was obsolete before it even entered service. I'm glad the US Mil developed the M14 rather than going with a better rifle like the FAL or G3 though, because that spectacular failure of a rifle paved the way for the M16.

The improvements that have been made to the M14 since then have helped but I think they came too late. The M14 has been over taken by rifles like the SR25 and SCAR H.

Aimless is wrong, but maybe I wasn't clear with my post.

I'll try again...
It's a shame that the rules of National Match competition keep the wealth of real world improvements in M14 accuracy & reliability with the EBR that have been proven on the two way range out of competition. I think the troops that actually used the M14EBR-RI in combat did some amazing work with the rifles issued to them, I'd like to see them compete head to head with retro NM M14 rifles in NM competitions.

Aimless is wrong, but maybe I wasn't clear with my post.

I'll try again...
It's a shame that the rules of National Match competition keep the wealth of real world improvements in M14 accuracy & reliability with the EBR that have been proven on the two way range out of competition. I think the troops that actually used the M14EBR-RI in combat did some amazing work with the rifles issued to them, I'd like to see them compete head to head with retro NM M14 rifles in NM competitions.

Even with all those upgrades it is still a second class rifle. Always has been always will be. It was an okay battle rifle and an okay DMR. It got a second chance at a service life and even with millions of dollars poured into R&D developing it as an enhanced rifle it was still just okay in the end. It is not a bad rifle, it just isn't a great one either.

I am glad the M14EBR was meh in service and the military started looking for a replacement almost immediately.. For the second time in it's service life. In looking for a replacement some great programs were started up and we got some good rifles out of it. Rifles like the SAM-R, the MK12SPR, and the M110 SASS.

Even with all those upgrades it is still a second class rifle. Always has been always will be. It was an okay battle rifle and an okay DMR. It got a second chance at a service life and even with millions of dollars poured into developing it as an enhanced rifle it was still just okay in the end. It is not a bad rifle, it just isn't a great one either.

I am glad the M14EBR was meh in service and the military started looking for a replacement almost immediately. In looking for a replacement some great programs were started up and we got some good rifles out of it. Rifles like the SAM-R, the MK12SPR, and the M110 SASS.

I happen to love the M1A / M14. I am not a veteran of the military so I speak only from civilian experience. I do know combat veterans form 67 Viet Nam who swear by the M14 and curse the M16.

I would wager this resistance to embrace the modernized EBR that is currently issued will be the demise of M14s in competition, over time attrition will kill off the old timers and there will be nobody left to build the traditional NM M14 in wood... The EBR is basically a DIY modification, and it can keep the sport viable for years to come.

This never happened, nobody spent millions of dollars on R&D developing the M14 as an enhanced rifle.

These two comments seem to be in conflict with each other.

Those improvements didn't just happen on their own. Companies like Sage didn't just sit up one day and make a new stock system for the M14 on their own. No that came as part of a program started by CRANE NSWC in 2000 and went on until 2012 or so. Development/PIP improvements were always evolving. If you don't think all of these changes didn't cost in the millions of dollars to develop then you don't understand military procurement and are just bad at math. http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2012/armaments/Wednesday13969Armstrong.pdf

I happen to love the M1A / M14. I am not a veteran of the military so I speak only from civilian experience. I do know combat veterans form 67 Viet Nam who swear by the M14 and curse the M16.

Shocking that some earily vets didn't like the M16 and preferred the M14. People hate change and the bulk of the decision makers in the military at the time hated the M16 because it wasn't made out of steel and wood, and fired a tiny round that was going to get our troops killed. :rolleyes: They did everything they could to handicap the M16 earily on and the troops carrying the M16 were the ones who ended up feeling the results of that handicapping. Once the M16 was able to perform and improve without interference it proved to be an excellent rifle. It's years of service have proven it's excellence.

I'm not saying the M14 is a bad rifle, I'm just saying it isn't a great rifle either. The design has had two chances at military service and even with the Navy and Army spooling up programs to "enhance" it, it hasn't been what the military had hoped.

Back
Top Bottom