• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Home Defense scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All our bedrooms are on one hall after a 90 degree turn at the top of the stairs my plan is to get to my sons room, the one closest to the corner, and then back all the kids up into our bedroom at the other end of the hall. The problem is I swear that boy could sleep through actual gun fire. I will have to drag him down the hall snoring lol

One night right before we all fell asleep the dogs tore off downstairs and were barking like they had something cornered. I grabed the gun sent all the kids in with mom and went and checked it out. It was nothing, probably a fox or a yote in the front yard. Anyway when I got upstairs my 6 year old son was crying. When I ask what was wrong he angrily said "I don't want to hide with the girls Daddy, I want to fight!"

I'm in the "get into a proper defensive position, wait for the police, and engage only if bad guys threaten your position" camp. That being said, I was not thinking about castle defense when we purchased our house all those years ago. The way our bedrooms are arranged relative to the stairs and the two story foyer makes getting everyone in a safe place quickly and without exposure nearly impossible. Castle defense will be part of the selection process for our next house whenever that may be.

I had just finished a two day gun class where the main focus was shooting from cover, clearing rooms, etc. when I was driving home & passed a 23,000 sq. ft. bldg. that I owned & saw that it had been broken into, "tagged" extensively, & smoke was rolling out of the steel door that was sledgehammered open. We found out later that it was some gang members who had broken in & stripped my building of most of the copper wiring (it cost $19,000 to repair).

Prior to that recent training I probably would have went into the building w/ the intent of "clearing" it... by myself, with only a handgun, no vest, no training, no comm's (other than the 911 operator who could possibly listen to the sounds of me being killed) against an unknown number of B.G.'s, in fixed, probably hidden positions armed w/ who knows what.

Instead I went to the edge of the property where I had good visibility of the property, called L.E., gave my location & description, informed the 911 operator that I was armed but would only have my gun out if I was in danger.

It went pretty smooth but it was eye-opening.

All our bedrooms are on one hall after a 90 degree turn at the top of the stairs my plan is to get to my sons room, the one closest to the corner, and then back all the kids up into our bedroom at the other end of the hall. The problem is I swear that boy could sleep through actual gun fire. I will have to drag him down the hall snoring lol

One night right before we all fell asleep the dogs tore off downstairs and were barking like they had something cornered. I grabed the gun sent all the kids in with mom and went and checked it out. It was nothing, probably a fox or a yote in the front yard. Anyway when I got upstairs my 6 year old son was crying. When I ask what was wrong he angrily said "I don't want to hide with the girls Daddy, I want to fight!"

Heck yeah, little warrior!

I had just finished a two day gun class where the main focus was shooting from cover, clearing rooms, etc. when I was driving home & passed a 23,000 sq. ft. bldg. that I owned & saw that it had been broken into, "tagged" extensively, & smoke was rolling out of the steel door that was sledgehammered open. We found out later that it was some gang members who had broken in & stripped my building of most of the copper wiring (it cost $19,000 to repair).

Prior to that recent training I probably would have went into the building w/ the intent of "clearing" it... by myself, with only a handgun, no vest, no training, no comm's (other than the 911 operator who could possibly listen to the sounds of me being killed) against an unknown number of B.G.'s, in fixed, probably hidden positions armed w/ who knows what.

Instead I went to the edge of the property where I had good visibility of the property, called L.E., gave my location & description, informed the 911 operator that I was armed but would only have my gun out if I was in danger.

It went pretty smooth but it was eye-opening.

2/10 would not operate with

Someone busts in the door trying to steal your heroin supply(just kidding)...

Someone busts in your door for a robbery, or whatever else?

Do you clear your house or do hold up with your firearm, and a phone with the 911 on the line?

I don't have kids so I don't have that on my brain....what about the people that do? Are their rooms in a relatively close/convenient location?

I would dial 911, drop the phone and proceed to clear my house.

Since I have kids, my first priority is to get them to safety. The last thing I want is a shootout with a scumbag in the same room as my kids. Always keep a disconnected cell phone in your safe room bc it will always be able to dial 911(as long as it's charged) my wife will grab a fire arm for defense of the herself and the kids while dialing 911. I will systematically clear the house and eliminate the threat should it present itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom