• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I get into the long range precision game?

Mattkh

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
Hey all! For the past 6 months or so I have been dreaming about putting together a pricey precision rifle and some nice glass on it. I am a self taught shooter and this is a new world to me. The more I looked into the long range precision realm, the more I realized that I have 0 experience for long distance shooting and I should just invest in a cheaper rifle set up than I originally planned and get into a class or two with some ammo for practice. The farthest shot I have taken and hit was a massive steel gong at 500 yards and it took more shots than I'd like to admit to get there. (500 yards is the max distance at my local range). I have very basic knowledge in moa. Basically enough to zero my rifles at 100 yards. Question is, where do I start? Any good classes in Georgia that I could take? Are there better ways to get into this than taking classes? I live in Valdosta but not scared to drive for a weekend. Any information would be a great help!!

You can do quite a bit with factory Guns. The stealth, rpr, xpc, tac a1 or just about any gun with a thicker barrel profile will work nicely. Buy an optic that has matching turrets to the reticle. Mil/mil, moa/moa. Pick a caliber that has available match ammo unless you reload. Then talk to cmshoot cmshoot or @REDX.

If you want to go full blown custom then Accurate Ordnance, American Precision Arms or Robert Gradous can all make a stupid accurate gun here in GA.

I think you are wise in deciding to allocate some of your budget on training, instead of all on gear. In the long run, good training will probably save you money on ammo that you have no idea where it hit ;)

I've got a 2-day Basic Precision Rifle course coming up in April. The perfect primer to get you started in LR shooting.

How much money are you looking to spend on the complete rifle system (rifle, optics, mount, rings, bipod, etc)?

You can do quite a bit with factory Guns. The stealth, rpr, xpc, tac a1 or just about any gun with a thicker barrel profile will work nicely. Buy an optic that has matching turrets to the reticle. Mil/mil, moa/moa. Pick a caliber that has available match ammo unless you reload. Then talk to cmshoot cmshoot or @REDX.

If you want to go full blown custom then Accurate Ordnance, American Precision Arms or Robert Gradous can all make a stupid accurate gun here in GA.
The stealth in .308 keeps catching my eye actually. I think it's going to be my pick but I am partial to savage!

I've got a 2-day Basic Precision Rifle course coming up in April. The perfect primer to get you started in LR shooting.

How much money are you looking to spend on the complete rifle system (rifle, optics, mount, rings, bipod, etc)?
Are you offering any other courses after June? I'm deployed until June but am fortunate enough to have wifi to keep me connected to people back home. And I have a budget for around $1500 for everything but can wiggle it up to as much as $2000.

Back
Top Bottom