• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I improve Powder Measure time?

If I'm shooting for groups or game I weigh each charge on the scale pan. May not be what you want to hear, but that way I know I am exact round to round. I use an old Similac formula scoop from when my kids were babies. I scoop and tap out the powder to get my weight and then pour in each case.

I am not trying to win a race or beat the clock when I reload. I take measured steps and enjoy my time. I do despise trimming brass however. Worst part of reloading for me.

I’ve been using this one for a couple years- found an online cheat to speed it up. Runs pretty fast until the last 2 gr then slows down for precise drop. Set it for 92.5 & it drops 92.5 every time.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt
I think I've got some bad news for you. I have used this for several years now and when it indicates the charge is done it will always say the target weight. However, it's not necessarily the true weight. You have to wait and let it cycle through the charge count after it's finished throwing the charge to get the true weight. It is often off. If you are picking up the pan before it cycles, you are never seeing the actual weight of the charge it just dispensed.

If I'm shooting for groups or game I weigh each charge on the scale pan. May not be what you want to hear, but that way I know I am exact round to round. I use an old Similac formula scoop from when my kids were babies. I scoop and tap out the powder to get my weight and then pour in each case.

I am not trying to win a race or beat the clock when I reload. I take measured steps and enjoy my time. I do despise trimming brass however. Worst part of reloading for me.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetL...1&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

You're welcomed.

I think I've got some bad news for you. I have used this for several years now and when it indicates the charge is done it will always say the target weight. However, it's not necessarily the true weight. You have to wait and let it cycle through the charge count after it's finished throwing the charge to get the true weight. It is often off. If you are picking up the pan before it cycles, you are never seeing the actual weight of the charge it just dispensed.

I wait for the beep before picking up pan...might be off but my factory guns can’t tell a difference -my goal is .5”-.75” at 100yds. I check the scale accuracy each time with the weight provided- always good there - thinking it shows the 50g weight at 771.62 instead of the true 771.6179. I’m sure there’s something better and mine may crash next week but so far it’s been pretty good.

This is not uncommon with any press IMO. The first rounds loaded will be slightly light because the powder settles and compacts in the tube and loading device as you load. If it bothers you, either load 5 rounds with just powder and dump back into the hopper, or set load up and set those rounds aside for fouling purposes or whatever.

I ran into this phenomena many years ago when I got my first progressive shotshell reloader, and found the same thing to be true when I got a Dillon.

Ive been using mine for 10 years, if its off its over by .1 or .2 grains. I always let it settle before picking it up. if its .2 over I take out a kernel. if its .1 over its getting used. that's what ladder testing if for. my nodes are good for +/- .3 grains

Ive been using mine for 10 years, if its off its over by .1 or .2 grains. I always let it settle before picking it up. if its .2 over I take out a kernel. if its .1 over its getting used. that's what ladder testing if for. my nodes are good for +/- .3 grains
Yep. I have found the same thing, but I'm too OCD to leave the extra weight in the charge. LOL! I simply use the brush that comes with it to pick up a kernel or two. Once you get the hang of it with each powder, it's surprisingly easy to take out the right amount doing this.

Back
Top Bottom