• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How Do You Carry A 1911

How Do You Carry a 1911 (or other hammer fired)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chambered round. Safety on. People do freak and it's fine. They don't know about 1911's or are ignorant of guns altogether. Same thing with folks who don't know about Glocks and no external safeties. Not saying ignorance is a good excuse but if you don't know and haven't taken the time to learn or are not open minded about adapting to something new and keeping your hook off the trigger, then there's no reason to get up in arms about it. People will flip their lids and I can go on with my life. :grouphug:

This poll was begat in response to another ODT'er having no idea about Conditions of Carry and stating that as I "traipse" around in Condition 1 that I have "no business talking about firearms safety" . So tell me, how do you carry the 1911?

If you don't have a 1911, but have a Hammer Fired weapon (Hi Power, FNP, FNX,) Please vote as well...

P.S. It's Condition 2 NOT Condition 3
Unchangeable Typo... SORRY!

What? Who gave you grief over that... clearly someone that needs more training!

It is way more dangerous to carry with one in the pipe and hammer down then any other configuration. I would strongly advise you guys who voted that way to seriously stop doing this...

It is so much more likely that you can snag the hammer and pull it back just enough to snap back down and fire the weapon.

^^THIS!!!!^^

Hammer down on Whats called half cock, or and mostly Locked and cocked. Location and situation depending.
Always one in the pipe!

What kind of holster are you using?

Ryan grizzle. Like leatherhead stated, I just don't want an accidental discharge that could cost me medical bill or someone else's safety. Just like the Walmart incident, holster got in the way of his wallet and the gun came out falling and went off, he fled like a dumbass.

OWB holsters are comfortable, but IWB isn't so when you're sitting down. With me being very small person, it's very hard to even conceal my 3" 1911. That's my smallest handgun and it still shows if someone know what they're looking for. If OWB wasn't a problem, I'd go with that option but you know how people are these days, they see a holstered gun and say your were brandishing it!

Ryan grizzle holsters are one of the best I think, it's just I am very small person it's uncomfortable when I'm sitting.

Last edited:
The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked, the thumb safety does not work with the hammer down.
I open carried a 1911 when I was working in a gun store, the appearance of the hammer being cocked did freak some people out, but I always explained to them that's how the 1911 was designed to be carried.

That being said, when I was new to 1911's, I too thought it was crazy to carry it cocked and locked, until I got familiar with the design.

If I didn't carry in condition 1, I would carry without a round in the chamber (which is not a good idea), but it is a better idea than to try and lower the hammer on a round in the chamber. The only logical way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked, IMO if you're not comfortable with that then you should carry something else.

Pure hearsay and conjecture. Many would argue that the thumb safety was added to allow a mounted troop to place the gun in a safe condition after use until they were able to safely lower the hammer. The US Army operating manual for the M1911 (dated Feb. 14, 1914)recommends against carrying C&L "except in an emergency."

Pure hearsay and conjecture. Many would argue that the thumb safety was added to allow a mounted troop to place the gun in a safe condition after use until they were able to safely lower the hammer. The US Army operating manual for the M1911 (dated Feb. 14, 1914)recommends against carrying C&L "except in an emergency."

I respect your opinion but I must disagree with you. The US Army operating manual did not design the gun, obviously a cocked and locked firearm freaked people out back then too, they weren't used to that.

This is just my opinion, "conjecture" as you say, but it seems logical to me that JMB intended the 1911 to be able to be carried safely in condition 1 so the gun could be ready to use very quickly. Since the 1911 is single action and not DA/SA, the ability to carry it cocked and locked allows you to ready the firearm as quickly or almost as quickly as any DA/SA. JMB put a lot of thought into his design.

Lowering the hammer on a 1911 when a round is in the chamber is very risky. Not only that, in a situation where you would need to draw your gun, do you really want to be fumbling around trying to cock the hammer?

Back
Top Bottom