• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How Do You Carry A 1911

How Do You Carry a 1911 (or other hammer fired)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is your reasoning if you don't mind me asking? Seems your are comfortable to have guns not in your direct control Con1 but not the one you will actually carry?

Not trying to be an a$$. Seriously interested...

For some reason, my IWB is sometimes comfortable and most of the time it's uncomfortable so I shift and move it all the time. Sometimes I even take the gun out if I'm getting back into the car and such, with that being said, I just don't want an "accidental" discharge from drawing and holster. I am a small guy so getting a comfortable and yet concealing is nearly impossible. I know the topic is 1911 but that sits in my house. I carry the xdm and walther p99c, both don't have thumb safety but the Springfield has grip saftey which is useless. Also i used to carry the m&p9c and that didn't have a safety either. So me just being very precautioness.

Having a IWB, carrying at 5oclock is very uncomfortable when driving. I realize most of the subcompact and compact handguns don't have any safeties. Some do but very hard to find unless you special order.

Last edited:
For some reason, my IWB is sometimes comfortable and most of the time it's uncomfortable so I shift and move it all the time. Sometimes I even take the gun out if I'm getting back into the car and such, with that being said, I just don't want an "accidental" discharge from drawing and holster. I am a small guy so getting a comfortable and yet concealing is nearly impossible. I know the topic is 1911 but that sits in my house. I carry the xdm and walther p99c, both don't have thumb safety but the Springfield has grip saftey which is useless. Also i used to carry the m&p9c and that didn't have a safety either. So me just being very precautioness.

Having a IWB, carrying at 5oclock is very uncomfortable when driving. I realize all the subcompact and compact handguns don't have any safeties.

What kind of holster are you using?

1911- cocked and locked. Only way to do it and I feel completely safe and confident doing it.

As far as Glocks(ugh) or any other striker fired pistol, I would not feel safe having one in the chamber. Except for the XD's that have a thumb safety, but a little sketchy on those even.

It is way more dangerous to carry with one in the pipe and hammer down then any other configuration. I would strongly advise you guys who voted that way to seriously stop doing this...

It is so much more likely that you can snag the hammer and pull it back just enough to snap back down and fire the weapon.

Back
Top Bottom