• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How Has Your Collecting Philosophy Evolved

I like the craftsmanship and history that is associated with older rifles, particularly milsurps. Right now I'm trying to add to my collection, so I get whatever I can. One day I hope to be able to more selective and focus on quality.

It started for me on cheap surplus and has largely hovered around US military rifles.

As my collection diversified I found the logistics of it all maddening especially with reloading. So I started doubling and tripling up on favorites like the M1 and K31 (both 308 diameter) and eliminated calibers like 8mm and 6.5x55.

I discovered that I hate safe queens. If I feel that shooting it decreases it's value I cut sling load because guns are meant to be shot. So I sold my authentic PU sniper, IHC correct Garand, and a NOS yugo Mauser over the last year.

Finally, I realized there are so many "cool" firearms but just because it has appeal does not mean it's a wise acquisition.

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I started with one of every style...pump action shotgun, bolt action hunting rifle, lever action pistol caliber, semiauto battle rifle, .357 revolver, 9mm pistol, etc. Then it was fine tuned to ar’s in carbine, midlength and rifle length, then before you knew it, I was into twins...I starting doubling everything...even to the point of trying to get serial numbers as close as possible.

“Two is one and one is none” taken too far.

It started for me on cheap surplus and has largely hovered around US military rifles.

As my collection diversified I found the logistics of it all maddening especially with reloading. So I started doubling and tripling up on favorites like the M1 and K31 (both 308 diameter) and eliminated calibers like 8mm and 6.5x55.

I discovered that I hate safe queens. If I feel that shooting it decreases it's value I cut sling load because guns are meant to be shot. So I sold my authentic PU sniper, IHC correct Garand, and a NOS yugo Mauser over the last year.

Finally, I realized there are so many "cool" firearms but just because it has appeal does not mean it's a wise acquisition.

Bill

I have had the safe queens and I un-safe queened them. LOL....I shot em all. Now I just love shooters.
Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Like many others have already stated, I too find myself going back to weapons of my youth. I started with a Daisy .22 bolt action single shot, and then a Winchester model 37 12 ga. single shot. Next was a Winchester 94 30-30, but I wanted a "cool" rifle that looked like everyone else's which led to a Rem 700 wood ADL 30-06 that carried me into a long line of other bolt action centerfires. Then came the auto rifle craze that led to a SKS, an AR, and other autoloaders. And now currently they all mostly sit dormant because I normally gravitate to the Rem 700 30-06 that I started with way back when for some reason.

Like many others have already stated, I too find myself going back to weapons of my youth. I started with a Daisy .22 bolt action single shot, and then a Winchester model 37 12 ga. single shot. Next was a Winchester 94 30-30, but I wanted a "cool" rifle that looked like everyone else's which led to a Rem 700 wood ADL 30-06 that carried me into a long line of other bolt action centerfires. Then came the auto rifle craze that led to a SKS, an AR, and other autoloaders. And now currently they all mostly sit dormant because I normally gravitate to the Rem 700 30-06 that I started with way back when for some reason.

Mom and Dad gave me a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 for Christmas when I was 15. Still my most cherished rifle.

Back
Top Bottom