• Next ODT Gun Show - Nov 16, 2024! - Click here for info

How much are crickets?

I normally give them an orange and they plump up and get juicy. We took them to the pond last night and my daughter had a blast catching them as fast as I could bait the hook. We used all of the live ones and all of the dead ones that still resembled a cricket. Daughter leaves on Saturday heading back to UGA. Honestly when she was pulling them out the water I would have probably given a $1 a piece. After Saturday my son and I will be back to throwing jigs for bream and him throwing wacky rigs for bass.
The fact your college student daughter still likes doing this with her dad is awesome. Congratulations, good Pop.

Buying crickets ? Damn y'all Richie riches

Cheap bag of instant potatoes(any carb really), mix in a few tablespoons of sugar, sprinkle it out on ground in shaded area and cover with a big piece of cardboard, carpet or whatever and check back next morning and be ready to catch more crickets than you need in an all day fishing trip.

If you can't catch by hand, make traps from toilet paper and paper towel tubes and use the potato/sugar bait. you still want to cover with something to keep sun off
I gotta try that!!!

The only thing worse than the price of crickets is the ones I bought Friday are so small that I would have needed three to fill a small hook. I needed reading glasses
To keep from stabbing my finger

$5/100 at local feed n seed this year. I think he went up because he heard the obscene prices at the local bait n tackle. I really need to start keeping meal worms.
I think Im going to stick to artificial and worms. I can keep a tub of worms in the fridge for months. I dont have to worry about them going to waste. The crickets were too small to be useful except our chickens enjoyed our left overs

Here's an alternative. Try using a flyrod and popping bugs. You really don't have to be very good casting because you can get close and Bluegills love them. I've had many a day of pure fun catching them on a flyrod. Especially since it's all surface strikes.

This is a good choice. White also works great. Trim the rubber legs down a little to get more strikes that connect with the hook. Small is good.

1717587934093.png
If you don't want to mess with a flyrod, you can always tie them on with a bobber just like you would a bait hook. Just have at least a coupe of feet or more of line between the bobber and the fly. Small bobbers are best.

Reactions: nws
Back
Top Bottom