• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much will I save???

9mm FMJ bullets 1K/$77, 1lb powder/under $20, primers 1K/less than $30, 9mm brass-free if you have been shooting it and keeping it or picking up at the range. So the cost is less than $127 for 1K of loaded 9mm in comparison to your 9mm cheapest $20/100 or $200 for 1K factory ammo. The cost is a little more than half the cost of factory ammo or over a $70 savings every 1000 rounds fired.

The bullets are typically the most expensive item purchased. You can buy 1K of lead cast RN for about $50 or less than $100 for 1/k loaded cast reloaded ammo. If you start casting your own then even less than half the cost of factory ammo. The largest reloading savings are realized on high dollar ammo 10mm, .44 Magnum or specialty rounds like center fire sub-sonic ammo. I can reload 1K of 10mm barn burners for less than $160. Georgia Arms will sell you reloaded 1k of 10mm for $390 and it is not “barn burner” ammo.

The bottom line is you don't really save money; you just shoot a heck of a lot more!

Buying my supplies in bulk , I am down to about 11 per hundred rounds of 9mm shooting FMJ with decent powder. Plus no tax. A buddy of mine and I split it all and that made the set up more cost efective. We each shoot 200+ rounds a month, sometimes more. I should have done it 20 years ago, and it is only time till we have issues with supply again. And yes you will shoot more, and not feel guility abou it.

The first thing you have to consider (instead of how much you'll save) before anything else is to recoup the cost of your initial purchase; press, dies for your calibers, scales, manuals, polishers, guides and everything else you're going to wind up wanting once you get started (I'm really wanting an ultrasonic brass cleaner). You can get a single stage starter kit for around a 100 bucks, but I bet you dollars to doughnuts that if you enjoy it, you are going to spend a lot more. Then you have to purchase/trade for and maintain your stores of components. I look at it as an enjoyable hobby, with the added benefit of reduced ammo costs. Sort of like photography, golf, boating, etc. You can find a ton of stuff on Ebay, if you're careful about your bids and shipping costs. I bought the new Lee interchangable bench plate kit for $18 and shipping there.

You can buy 250 rnds of 9mm ammo from Cabella's for around $60, or 24 cents apiece.

Now, you can buy brass around $14/100, Bullets at $10/100, primers at $3/100, and 1lb of powder for 22 (I'm figuring a load 0f 5.4 grs of AA#5 per round - you get a little over 1900 charges)

So your first batch of reloads cost .14 + .10 + .03 + .02 = .29 per round
Your next batch though doesn't need new brass, so now you're at 15 cents a round, or a savings of 9 cents each - and you can tweak it to your pistol.

At least that's how I was lead into reloading.

You can buy 250 rnds of 9mm ammo from Cabella's for around $60, or 24 cents apiece.

Now, you can buy brass around $14/100, Bullets at $10/100, primers at $3/100, and 1lb of powder for 22 (I'm figuring a load 0f 5.4 grs of AA#5 per round - you get a little over 1900 charges)

So your first batch of reloads cost .14 + .10 + .03 + .02 = .29 per round
Your next batch though doesn't need new brass, so now you're at 15 cents a round, or a savings of 9 cents each - and you can tweak it to your pistol.

At least that's how I was lead into reloading.

Or swap for or buy once fired brass, usually .05 or less each. Go to a Publc range pick it up for FREE. I've got 1000 pieces of 9mm now, that I'm going to be listing soon for sale or trade for some .30 Carbine brass. Like I've mentioned before Get creative it costs even less.

These bullets for .06 a round:
https://blackbulletsinternational.com/

Primers at $25/1000 = .025 a round

Powder: about a penny a round.

Adds up to 9 cents a round or $4.50 a box of 50. I've always picked up brass so it's not even a consideration for me.. I've got buckets of it in the garage.

You don't save any money reloading, you just shoot more!

I was wondering if it was considered OK to pick up your brass (and possibly others) at the range? I usually shoot at indoor ranges, and theres brass everywhere. I didnt know if it was one of those unspoken rules or something, because I am sure they make a good chunk of cash scrapping the brass. Last time I checked, good brass was over 2 bucks a pound at the scrap yard

Shouldn't be a problem to at least pick up your own. You can ask when you go in. Obviously you wouldn't want to head in front of the line, but there's always plenty laying around the few times I've been to indoor ranges.

Ask the owners what their Policy is. At the Public range I always ask the people that are shooting if their going to be wanting their brass. If Not then I wait 'til their finished or Range cold to pickup. Never while anyone is on Station.

Back
Top Bottom