• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to avoid going dumb when the buzzer beeps.

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I've heard everyone has a plan until they get popped in the mouth. I have been shooting our local matches and find that I have a great plan when I get to the matches. My plan is to focus on accuracy because misses add time fast. I have found that when the RO says "shooter ready" I take a deep breath and then I hear the beep. Then it seems like I lose the front sight and shoot faster than I want to. This is the same as dove hunting. I have a plan until the bird flys over and then I just shoot. When deer hunting I know to squeeze the trigger a little more and a little more until the shot breaks. I know where to put the cross hairs but sometimes the fever hits. I can explain this and teach my son all of these things. I spend a lot of time ready and trying to be knowledgeable its frustrating for all of that to go out the window with the sound of a beep. What can I do to not lose focus when the buzzer sounds. How do you learn to perform under pressure?

I've heard everyone has a plan until they get popped in the mouth. I have been shooting our local matches and find that I have a great plan when I get to the matches. My plan is to focus on accuracy because misses add time fast. I have found that when the RO says "shooter ready" I take a deep breath and then I hear the beep. Then it seems like I lose the front sight and shoot faster than I want to. This is the same as dove hunting. I have a plan until the bird flys over and then I just shoot. When deer hunting I know to squeeze the trigger a little more and a little more until the shot breaks. I know where to put the cross hairs but sometimes the fever hits. I can explain this and teach my son all of these things. I spend a lot of time ready and trying to be knowledgeable its frustrating for all of that to go out the window with the sound of a beep. What can I do to not lose focus when the buzzer sounds. How do you learn to perform under pressure?
Experience. I can tell you I made my mistakes but this is from a combat related POV. Sounds to me like you know what you're doing wrong now you just need to correct it.

One time being fired upon I couldn't find the safety on my 249 so I quit using it. Problem solved.

If you survive to learn a lesson Sir then chalk it up as a win.

Games not over until you are standing at the throne of GOD.

practice practice practice. Get a shot timer and get used to hearing the beep.

My thing is to have a plan but know what to do in situations that don't go according to plan. I've taken off towards the next shooting station after 5 rounds even though my last one was a miss, then had to decide what to do, etc. So have a general plan but be ready and happy to improvise.

Experience. I can tell you I made my mistakes but this is from a combat related POV. Sounds to me like you know what you're doing wrong now you just need to correct it.

One time being fired upon I couldn't find the safety on my 249 so I quit using it. Problem solved.

If you survive to learn a lesson Sir then chalk it up as a win.

Games not over until you are standing at the throne of GOD.
I try to learn something from each match. I guess if I do its a win.
Great tips from a man who's been there and shot that.

There is a lot there to marinate on. The video could have been made in response to my question.
I was able to ignore buzzer once I convinced myself nobody would be shooting back at me during my course of fire.
Ive only been at gun point a couple of times. I guess the fact Im the only one shooting and bullets are only going in one direction should allow me to relax.
practice practice practice. Get a shot timer and get used to hearing the beep.

My thing is to have a plan but know what to do in situations that don't go according to plan. I've taken off towards the next shooting station after 5 rounds even though my last one was a miss, then had to decide what to do, etc. So have a general plan but be ready and happy to improvise.
I should have done this. I need to focus on a plan and a back up going in. This week on one stage my phone started ringing as I was drawing my gun. I answer my phone all day at work so reflex caused me to pause. I pushed through but it caused me pause. Next month my phone wont be in my pocket. Another round was shooting falling steel and Ive never shot larger falling steel. When the target didnt fall I had to readjust and come back to it. I should have had a plan going in for that what if.

Back
Top Bottom