• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to avoid going dumb when the buzzer beeps.

Maybe @pistolpat & Burdy Burdy could offer some insight? I know there’s others, my mind is a blank.
From my experience your own buzzer is good for gathering metrics and improving your technique but does little to help when under the buzzer in competition. I believe the only way to help with this is to shoot more competitions.

As with most any activity that produces adrenaline, whether that be shooting comps, Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, poker, racing, etc...the only way to get better is repeated exposure to the stimulus to the point of desensitization. Continue to put yourself in those uncomfortable positions until they gradually become more comfortable.

There is no shortcut outside of the stimulus that will get you there completely. Hone your technique on the timer where you can objectively gauge improvement and then put yourself into the fire as often as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

From my experience your own buzzer is good for gathering metrics and improving your technique but does little to help when under the buzzer in competition. I believe the only way to help with this is to shoot more competitions.

As with most any activity that produces adrenaline, whether that be shooting comps, Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, poker, racing, etc...the only way to get better is repeated exposure to the stimulus to the point of desensitization. Continue to put yourself in those uncomfortable positions until they gradually become more comfortable.

There is no shortcut outside of the stimulus that will get you there completely. Hone your technique on the timer where you can objectively gauge improvement and then put yourself into the fire as often as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Well said.

Burdy makes some excellent points, as usual. One thing I see glossed over when it comes to learning how to deal with "Match Nerves" is the value of mental rehearsal--You can get 99.9% of the Training Value of shooting more Matches if you have a focused, REALISTIC regimen of mental rehearsal.

It's an over-simplification, but basically your MIND doesn't know the difference between QUALITY Mental Rehearsal & the real thing, and the "Training Effect" occurs with mental rehearsal just as it does with actual Competition.

The two best references I've seen on this technique is a book by Olympic Rifle Medalist Lanny Bassham & the Book "Peak Performance: Mental Training Techniques of the World's Greatest Athletes" by Chas. A Garfield, PhD. The Garfield book is now out-of-print but is particularly worthwhile IMHO--a MUCH EASIER "Read" than Bassham's book, at least from this corner of the Peanut Gallery...

I've heard everyone has a plan until they get popped in the mouth. I have been shooting our local matches and find that I have a great plan when I get to the matches. My plan is to focus on accuracy because misses add time fast. I have found that when the RO says "shooter ready" I take a deep breath and then I hear the beep. Then it seems like I lose the front sight and shoot faster than I want to. This is the same as dove hunting. I have a plan until the bird flys over and then I just shoot. When deer hunting I know to squeeze the trigger a little more and a little more until the shot breaks. I know where to put the cross hairs but sometimes the fever hits. I can explain this and teach my son all of these things. I spend a lot of time ready and trying to be knowledgeable its frustrating for all of that to go out the window with the sound of a beep. What can I do to not lose focus when the buzzer sounds. How do you learn to perform under pressure?
I would reconcile myself to completely blow a match, going in with the thought I was going to focus on sights, trigger squeeze, not worry about time whatsoever, in fact shoot deliberately slow. Your time in this match may be terrible or it may be better than you think it’s going to be. Hopefully you will get over the hump of speeding through, praying and spraying. You have to retrain your mind to prioritize correct sight alignment and trigger control over rapidly pulling the trigger.

I would reconcile myself to completely blow a match, going in with the thought I was going to focus on sights, trigger squeeze, not worry about time whatsoever, in fact shoot deliberately slow. Your time in this match may be terrible or it may be better than you think it’s going to be. Hopefully you will get over the hump of speeding through, praying and spraying. You have to retrain your mind to prioritize correct sight alignment and trigger control over rapidly pulling the trigger.
I think next match I may use my 34 or 4" k frame. I have been determined to use my 26 as its my carry gun. This past weekend I used my 19 and didn't see that much difference. I think with the 34 or K frame I know I can make the shots. The 34 is better suited for the match due to the larger frame and higher capacity. The K frames I just shoot well. Then again I know I can make the shots with the 26 on a square range. I think the 26 slows me down and forces me to focus. I can get too comfortable with the larger guns and sometimes get faster and blow it as a result. The key is I think it forces me to focus.

No plan, when the buzzer sounds I go into combat mode and shoot accordingly, observing safety issues, plans always just made me screw up.

I've heard everyone has a plan until they get popped in the mouth. I have been shooting our local matches and find that I have a great plan when I get to the matches. My plan is to focus on accuracy because misses add time fast. I have found that when the RO says "shooter ready" I take a deep breath and then I hear the beep. Then it seems like I lose the front sight and shoot faster than I want to. This is the same as dove hunting. I have a plan until the bird flys over and then I just shoot. When deer hunting I know to squeeze the trigger a little more and a little more until the shot breaks. I know where to put the cross hairs but sometimes the fever hits. I can explain this and teach my son all of these things. I spend a lot of time ready and trying to be knowledgeable its frustrating for all of that to go out the window with the sound of a beep. What can I do to not lose focus when the buzzer sounds. How do you learn to perform under pressure?
I took a training class from this guy and now I never even think about a buzzer....

Back
Top Bottom