• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to become a gun smith

kc30121

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
76   1
Reaction score
So I want to learn the trade the right way and not on YouTube!! I work a nice very full time job but have always loved guns and have a huge collection myself. I want to do it as a hobby mainly but would love to open a small gun shop someday to maybe do part time.
Other then the internet, how does someone learn the trade? Any place I could “shadow” on my off days and learn in person?
I feel like I know the basics. I’ve built my share of black guns and have tinkered with my 1911’s. I’ve been around them all my life so I know my way around them but to fully dismantle most guns in clueless.

Make sure you get Dremel set with ALL the attachments.

Starter Kit
Gunsmith Starter Kit.png

Find the one complex rifle that intimidates you the most . Take it apart . If you cannot put it back together then no amount of schooling will ever help .

I enjoy 3D gun programs . The key to gun smithing is knowing all the basic operation principles. Once you have that you can eyeball guns and see what’s broken

Find the one complex rifle that intimidates you the most . Take it apart . If you cannot put it back together then no amount of schooling will ever help .

I enjoy 3D gun programs . The key to gun smithing is knowing all the basic operation principles. Once you have that you can eyeball guns and see what’s broken
Very good sound advice here.Short of custom stock making,and metal engraving.....this is the route I would take.

Back
Top Bottom