• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How we think about money

I have purchased 4 Trans AM's. 2 of them were 80's models that were seven and eight years old. They stickered for up the mid 20,999 price range new. Got both that look like brand new with under 40,000 miles for 5500 and 6500 cash. In 2021 I bought a 2004 GMC Sierra four-wheel drive with 42,000 miles on it and paid $7,500 cash for that. It still doesn't have a scratch or a ding in the paint and the interior looks like new. I sold cars on and off from 1994-2002. I only bought two new cars and both of those were in the paper at a sale price and a massive discounts and I financed them through my bank which gave me a low interest rate. After selling cars for so long I'll never buy another new car in my life. The depreciation hit you take right after you drive off the lot is enormous. Why not buy one a few years old and let somebody else pay all that depreciation. Swallow the pride and buy reasonably and intelligently. Make sure to do a Car Fax and find out the service and accident history and take it to a mechanic if you don't know what you are looking for. The money people throw away on new cars every few years is staggering. All that waste just to be hip.
To get that new car smell?

I have purchased 4 Trans AM's. 2 of them were 80's models that were seven and eight years old. They stickered for up the mid 20,999 price range new. Got both that look like brand new with under 40,000 miles for 5500 and 6500 cash. In 2021 I bought a 2004 GMC Sierra four-wheel drive with 42,000 miles on it and paid $7,500 cash for that. It still doesn't have a scratch or a ding in the paint and the interior looks like new. I sold cars on and off from 1994-2002. I only bought two new cars and both of those were in the paper at a sale price and a massive discounts and I financed them through my bank which gave me a low interest rate. After selling cars for so long I'll never buy another new car in my life. The depreciation hit you take right after you drive off the lot is enormous. Why not buy one a few years old and let somebody else pay all that depreciation. Swallow the pride and buy reasonably and intelligently. Make sure to do a Car Fax and find out the service and accident history and take it to a mechanic if you don't know what you are looking for. The money people throw away on new cars every few years is staggering. All that waste just to be hip.
Or drive them forever. I probably wouldn't buy a new one now

The key is to keep them maintained, buy what you want and keep every little thing fixed. Then there is no excuse to buy another one
Dead on! Preventative maintenance is the key. Keep fluids changed and topped off when needed, check tire pressure regularly to decrease unnecessary wear, lube chassis if applicable and they will treat you well. I have owned this truck since 2021 and I have never put my foot to the floor. No need in imparting undue stress on the engine and drivetrain. Drive them as if it was the last vehicle on earth and they will last a very long time.

Dead on! Preventative maintenance is the key. Keep fluids changed and topped off when needed, check tire pressure regularly to decrease unnecessary wear, lube chassis if applicable and they will treat you well. I have owned this truck since 2021 and I have never put my foot to the floor. No need in imparting undue stress on the engine and drivetrain. Drive them as if it was the last vehicle on earth and they will last a very long time.
I've spent my life trying to figure out what works and last. I have vehicles I've been driving for 30yrs as daily drivers.

Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom