• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How we think about money

Delayed gratification is no fun but so is being broke near retirement, it seems.
I retired at 52. Never had an easy job so maybe that is the secret. A sh#t job is motivation. Never worked one that didn't pay well. Even in highschool. Always had money in my pocket and no...daddy didn't pay. My dad offered to pay for school. Any fun to be had was on me. Went couple years. Didn't see how Algebra 101 would make me a dime so I went to work and off dads dime.

Reactions: GFB
I retired at 52. Never had an easy job so maybe that is the secret. A sh#t job is motivation. Never worked one that didn't pay well. Even in highschool. Always had money in my pocket and no...daddy didn't pay. My dad offered to pay for school. Any fun to be had was on me. Went couple years. Didn't see how Algebra 101 would make me a dime so I went to work and off dads dime.
That's especially impressive because most people have their health insurance tied to their employment and may not be able to retire even if they've put themselves in a decent financial position. Good on you.

I'm not rich, but I feel like I've done pretty ok for myself because I live frugal as ****. Fancy things don't interest me. And I've never financed anything that was going to depreciate in value.

Like right now I need a zero turn lawnmower, I got friends and family telling me to just finance one and all about how they financed one at 0 interest.

But I'll do what I always do and wait till someone who needs cash sells me their 5 year old lawnmower for a fraction of what they paid for it. Happens every time.
Get a lawn service. They furnish the mower, fuel and undocumented worker to drive it.

What is this money y’all speak of? I’m just trying figure out how to get on the other side (where my money goes). If anyone can help me out be appreciated.
Only thing I can think of and someone needs to hear this.
* Do not get married!!
As my Father in Law said, two live as cheaply as three....

People just need to take a hard look at how they define success. I set a goal AND STUCK TO IT, to not have a mortgage by age 50. As cool as it would be to have a new nice ride, the same ride I've been driving for 22 years with no mortgage is MUCH cooler.
And oh yeah, take care of your stuff!
That's it!!

Back
Top Bottom