• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Howa 1500 308

Glockmania

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
177   0
Reaction score
I got the unicorn I have been wanting Howa 1500 308win 16.25 heavy barrel, with that being said who's got a howa and which scope mount did you go with and why? Primary rifle use will be GA hunting.

I got the unicorn I have been wanting Howa 1500 308win 16.25 heavy barrel, with that being said who's got a howa and which scope mount did you go with and why? Primary rifle use will be GA hunting.

1. What’s your budget?
2. MIL or MOA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There’s so many scopes out there that would suit that rifle. What’s your budget? Do you like MIL or MOA? What features are you looking for?
I am looking for a scope mount base recommendations. There is a 0 MOA and a 20 MOA as of now I have always just gone with the basic pic rail and never gave it any thought but I figure I ask on here and see what everyone else experience has been with 0 MOA rail and 20 MOA rail. For the scope I will probably go with leupold 1-4.

1. What’s your budget?
2. MIL or MOA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am looking for a scope mount base recommendations. There is a 0 MOA and a 20 MOA as of now I have always just gone with the basic pic rail and never gave it any thought but I figure I ask on here and see what everyone else experience has been with 0 MOA rail and 20 MOA rail. For the scope I will probably go with leupold 1-4.

I might eventually put a 1-10 scope on it, would that rail work with it or with the bigger scope the 20MOA might be better? I have watched some videos and everyone recommends the 20MOA

It’s still an LPVO. If you want a serious long range rifle I would jump up to a 3-15 or 4-16 and then go a 20 MOA rail. Low enough power setting for hunting but if you wanted to tinker with long range shooting then you’re good there too.

I don’t want to discourage you from getting a 1-4 LPVO or even a 1-10, but the benefits of a 20 MOA rail is meant for “increasing” internal elevation adjustment to allow for longer shots. So it would make sense to get a scope with a bit more capability to maximize the use of a 20 MOA rail.

A good rule of thumb is 1x magnification for every hundred yards. So you shouldn’t need a 20 MOA base for 400-500 yard shots out of a .308. The 1-10 could potentially benefit from the 20 MOA base but it sounds more like this is a dedicated Georgia woods gun.

Depending on your budget and me living vicariously through you, you can get a March 1.5-15, March 2.5x25, or the NF NX8 2.5x20 to have the best of both worlds while running a 20 MOA base.

Back
Top Bottom