• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I feel bad for those just into 'modern' arms.

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
People view guns differently, from utilitarian tool, to heritage/collectible pieces and everything in between. I also realize every gun has it's function.
I'm fortunate in that my father was an avid (and accomplished) shooter. I grew up hunting with him and Christmas invariably meant a new gun. Given that, over the last couple days I've made it a point to take out each one, wipe it down, just give it a once over and reminisce a bit. I'm 51 (my father is long gone unfortunately). Most of my guns have manufacture dates from the 1960s-80s (some older, some newer). Some of the most basic, common ones are truly impressive. As I was cleaning them and appreciating (again) the quality of the bluing, the wood, the simple elegance and brilliance of the designs, and just overall craftsmanship, I was struck by a sad thought. I wonder if in 35 years from now, some 51 year old will be cleaning his AR or Glock with the same sort of appreciation and reverence. I can't fathom how it would be possible.
Fathers, buy your kids a classic gun or three, something that can really be an heirloom and literally last for generations. Adults that are just getting into shooting, buy YOURSELF a classic or three. There's just something about them. You owe it to them/yourself. :yo:

the artistic aspect has been drained from firearms design over time, nowadays they have computers helping them produce everything from cars to firearms to plastic toys so they get too much common sensibilities in the process with too little human imagination

the older war rifles all had more character then the ar-15 will have have short of some extreme customization
the hakim for example looks unique and isn't the most efficient design but it looks like a piece of art with the bayonet mounted

Well said. My sons love to shoot my battle rifles and they know their stories too, but (sadly) most of their friends only know about them through video games.

Model 70 FTW win.jpg
Win Mdl 70 Feather weight.My Fave

Back
Top Bottom