• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I just ordered one of these in 45 acp. Anyone have any experience with them?

So I contacted KelTec probably 8-10 years ago inquiring about a 45ACP version (Sub2000 had been out and successful for many years at that time) and they said they had no intentions of ever introducing a 45ACP. When I replied back and asked why they wouldn't give me an actual reason. :noidea:
Wow! They would sell a ton more firearms in 45 "GOD's caliber" ;)

I personally helped my cousin sight in these handguns & test himself to see if he could keep the necessary groups from an improvised field position (as contrasted with shooting across sandbags at the range). He could do it well (the 1911 was a gun he used in IPSC shooting with iron sights, and slow fire bullseye competitions when it was wearing the red dot optic).

Yet he knew his limitations
(ever see the Clint Eastwood movie where he says a man "has got to know his limitations"). My cousin never lost a deer and they never went more than 50 yards before dropping dead. About 50--- he said he never had to leave his friend's property to follow a wounded deer, and it was a pretty small piece of land.

But , feel free to ignore this real world experience and stick your face back into your ballistics tables and talk about sectional density and kinetic energy.
I’ve shot several deer with handguns, normally as the result of someone else’s screwup prior to my arrival, a limited number with a shotgun, and many with a rifle while hunting myself. I also process my own deer and sometimes the ones that I find for other people due to processors being closed for the night. I see the trauma caused by differing rounds as well as the reaction of the animals when shot. The trail from where the deer was shot to where it was found is of course directly related to shot placement; however without a central nervous system disruption or significant compromise of the skeletal system wounding to vital organs as well as the deer’s will to escape are paramount. I’ve been hunting for about 40 years, not “helping” my cousin in New York, so you clearly know more than I do. Maybe you can write a booklet on the topic, I’m sure everyone will read it. The South Carolina DNR has already completed and published a comprehensive report on the subject of caliber and shot placement in a controlled environment. You should read it. Never more than 50 yards? I’ve seen one go 85 yards on three legs with no heart from a .270 and close to 70 double lunged with a 12 gauge Forster slug.

Oh I have no doubt , lol. I figure you probably got stuff I never even thought about having! Lol.
I was just thinking about the quickness of the kill , that’s all .
I bet you have stuff that would vaporize a deer…or anything else for that matter ! :becky:

On the .45acp for hunting subject, I am not too sure how effective it would be unless you were close enough to the game for it to take it out quickly and cleanly. I just think the shorter bbl and the less ballistic values make it an undesirable round for hunting larger game with.
I mean, yeah it will kill….but in some cases how long will it take to kill if you are 100 yds away ? Is that a humane way to hunt ?
I think I would rather have a clean and quick kill….humanely as possible i guess. I look at it too that I don’t have to track that animal as far if the kill is fast and it is DRT, as “they” say. Just my opinion though.
I have and still think hunting with a handgun is a good choice. The round and ballistics is what I am in question of.
It is all upon the actual hunter though, as long as they are within the rules….I guess it doesn’t matter really . :)
Nah brother. I was just saying basically I have more suitable calibers for deer hunting.

Nah brother. I was just saying basically I have more suitable calibers for deer hunting.
Oh I bet you do ! LOL !
I hear ya , believe me. I was just yammering on ….bullsh**ting about nothing really. Lol.

So, how was your holiday ? Decent I hope. I didn’t do much. Hanging at home mostly these days. I can’t get out as easily with this seizure thing haunting me. I can’t drive, so if I go I usually go with someone else. It has just turned into more of a pain than it’s worth to get out and goof off like I am used to doing ! Lol. But it will get better .
I can start driving again soon I think, that is what the ole lady says anyhow ! Lol.

I take it you don't find the rifle aesthetically pleasing. ;) I agree it is kinda ugly but it will fit in a lunch box and holds a 2 inch group at 100 or so I read/hear.
It's not the aesthetics as much as the 16" 45acp. There's nothing practical about that combo at all.

Oh I bet you do ! LOL !
I hear ya , believe me. I was just yammering on ….bullsh**ting about nothing really. Lol.

So, how was your holiday ? Decent I hope. I didn’t do much. Hanging at home mostly these days. I can’t get out as easily with this seizure thing haunting me. I can’t drive, so if I go I usually go with someone else. It has just turned into more of a pain than it’s worth to get out and goof off like I am used to doing ! Lol. But it will get better .
I can start driving again soon I think, that is what the ole lady says anyhow ! Lol.
We all sat and chilled at the house. I went to Lawlers BBQ and picked up some pulled pork that was about it.

Get this shyt the dumbasses at Lawlers who were OUT of lays potato chips had the nerve to tell me kettle cooked chips are just as good as Lays original potato chips. I basically called them blasphemers. LOL

Back
Top Bottom