• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I remember why I do not use deer processors anymore.

I admire you guys that do your own. I wish I had the time and ability to do my own but unfortunately I don't so I'm stuck with using a processor. Tying up $$$'s into processing ain't my idea of fun but them's the breaks I guess. That being said, MR Butcher Shop in Between (as in Between, GA right off of 78) has always done a great job for me. It's a family run operation so I've seen the same folks year in year out for at least a dozen years. It's a very clean, well run processor with a good bit of options on the cuts.

I took a deer to Southers deer cooler in Murrayville last week for the first time. It will also be the last time I take one there. It was the nastiest processor I have ever seen. I'm glad I will not be eating it.

There almost all this way I think they keep it for themselves about 20-30 lbs per animal I don't use processor anymore after last year I had the same thing 189lb deer and 100lbs of meet back at $1.50 lb that was a joke . I take legs , back straps and neck . good origins liver and heart .

I've been reading this thread and wondered how a processor is able to get that much meat out of a deer. I do my own and maybe I am really picky about what goes in my burger, but I typically get about 1/3 of my deers weight when I'm done. That being said I do not keep the rib meat or flanks due to the amount of membrane/silver skin o/in them due to the amount of time it would take to clean it up. I do keep the neck meat though. I have never thought of adding the liver or heart into the burger, but that would add some weight into the mix. Does a processor though all of that into the burger and how much of the fat, membrane, and silver skin is trimmed out before it's tossed in? Seems to me that it might make a difference in the taste and texture of the burger. Unsure thought because I've never taken a deer to a processor. Anyone have any insight on that?

Here is a pic of the deer. I know its not a great pic but it will give you an idea how big he was. finley deer 063.jpg

There almost all this way I think they keep it for themselves about 20-30 lbs per animal I don't use processor anymore after last year I had the same thing 189lb deer and 100lbs of meet back at $1.50 lb that was a joke . I take legs , back straps and neck . good origins liver and heart .

You don't take the loins?

Back
Top Bottom