• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If certain firearms weren't expensive and hard to come by do you think you'd want one?

For example. The Chinese NDM 86 Dragunov which is a 8-12 grand firearm nowadays. I picked one up off the shelf in the 80s and my first thought was "Cheap Chinese piece of shyt." Right before putting it back and buying a 1911.

I understand at best these are 1-1/2 to 3 moa firearms so why do we want one of these more than a AR-10 that can shoot 1/2 moa?

Neat design but that is about it.
I think certain guns that are only super valuable due to stupid laws aren't worth seeking out with my limited funds. Like you said, a decent AR10 will shoot circles around most svd's. Also, 308 has been cheaper than 54r for a while now. Kinda how mosins lost my attention. You can get a $350 mosin and expensive 54r, OR you can buy a cheap savage bolt gun in 308. Don't get me wrong, milsurp is way cooler but they are only rare because of stupid import laws.

I like milsurps because of the history but also because the challenge of the hunt. Something odd or somewhat rare is much more rewarding to find than the modern stuff that can be had practically on-demand over the internet
Ditto! People knock the Dragunov too but seem to forget how absolutely groundbreaking at the time it’s concept and scope for that matter we’re technological leaps I mean it was designed by an Olympic marksman lol

I think certain guns that are only super valuable due to stupid laws aren't worth seeking out with my limited funds. Like you said, a decent AR10 will shoot circles around most svd's. Also, 308 has been cheaper than 54r for a while now. Kinda how mosins lost my attention. You can. It a $350 mosin and expensive 54r, OR you can buy a cheap savage bolt gun in 308. Don't get me wrong, milsurp is way cooler but they are only rare because of stupid import laws.
There's a Forgotten Weapons video about the old Street Sweeper and Striker 12 shotguns from the 80s. Originally a South African design and essentially a big heavy clumsy 12 gauge revolver that was really slow to load and unload.
Anyway it was all hype and gimmick. Then the ATF reclassified them as destructive devices around 93. I don't remember what the original retail was on them but I know they were definitely not worth that AND a $200.00 stamp on top of that.

Easy, machine guns. I personally find the NFA to be in direct violation of the spirit and intent of the founders and the second amendment. While I doubt they could have foreseen WMDs, N/B/C stuff which I wouldn't want anyway and don't think should be available to people, standard military arms were the intent of the second amendment to protect and keep in the hands of law abiding citizens. I'd start with all US military automatics from WWII, one of each, and move forward from there.

Back
Top Bottom