• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If they are no longer an active threat, do not shoot

Yea, like I said, he might have deserved it, but now the victim is the defendant because he did something against the law. Probably heat of the moment. Probably PO'd, but still has to fight an unnecessary court battle.

Stupid is as stupid does.
(or maybe he was just irrationally angry at being targeted for a break-in).
Either way, he acted without thinking, on impulse, and this time he was legally WRONG. Bad shoot.
Unless he wants to risk 10 years of his life in prison by going to trial and hoping for jury nullification, I see a plea deal in his future to a felony, lifetime loss of gun rights, and 10 years probation.

Stupid is as stupid does.
(or maybe he was just irrationally angry at being targeted for a break-in).
Either way, he acted without thinking, on impulse, and this time he was legally WRONG. Bad shoot.
Unless he wants to risk 10 years of his life in prison by going to trial and hoping for jury nullification, I see a plea deal in his future to a felony, lifetime loss of gun rights, and 10 years probation.
The tragic thing is that he probably thought he was legally justified. Hell, even on these forums there are a lot of people that are absolutely determined not to learn the truth about the justifiable use of deadly force. They just can't understand there is a difference between what they think is right and what is legal. They stubbornly remain willfully ignorant and all we can do is hope they never find out they're wrong the hard way, like this guy did. I've even be called a liberal pacifist for trying to explain it to them.

The tragic thing is that he probably thought he was legally justified. Hell, even on these forums there are a lot of people that are absolutely determined not to learn the truth about the justifiable use of deadly force. They just can't understand there is a difference between what they think is right and what is legal. They stubbornly remain willfully ignorant and all we can do is hope they never find out they're wrong the hard way, like this guy did. I've even be called a liberal pacifist for trying to explain it to them.

That's why you need to pass a simple written test about deadly force laws in order to get a carry permit. I'd like to see them even require you to hit a pie plate at 5-7 yards. That's not me being a liberal constitution hater, that's me not wanting people who can't do the above tasks to have firearms in the public near me. I'm controversially with Ayoob on this one, sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit in order to keep a right long into the future. *ducks and covers *

Back
Top Bottom