• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm about to cave, I need help!

Bow hunted many years, bought an Excalibur crossbow and wow. I love it, talk about fast and deadly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I didn't even start shooting a bow until 2006 when I was 48 years old. Got myself a Mathews Switchback compound & a Ten Point crossbow around the same time and had a former world champion archer set em' up for me and then she taught me how to shoot. I love shooting both and both are deadly accurate out to at least 50 yds., I haven't tried shooting any farther than that because that was as far as I had in my yard to shoot em'. I can't shoot that far anymore since some jerk developed the woods behind my house into a freakin' subdivision, now there's a house behind mine about 20 yards beyond where I had my target hanging. Anyway, I was hitting plastic coke bottle caps at 20 yds and 3" groups at 50 with both bows. My crossbow will literally put 2 bolts in the same hole at 20 yds and someone with younger eyes and a steady hold could probably do better than that easy at longer distances. The great thing about crossbows is you don't have to draw it when a deer or turkey gets in range and spook em' off, it's already set and ready to shoot all ya gotta do is aim & fire. And that Ten Point has one sweet trigger on it too. If you're gonna get one go ahead and get a real good one and don't skimp on it, you'll be much happier with a quality bow. Ten Point & Excaliber are probably the top of the line as far as I know, the Ten Point is a compound crossbow and the Excaliber is a recurve. Just all depends on what you like best. YMMV and it's just my two cents worth. Good luck & happy hunting!
I could group them so tight at 30 yards with my exomax you would have to pull them all out at the same time and I busted many an arrow hitting them in the knock. Practice is the key. That and quality equipment.

I could group them so tight at 30 yards with my exomax you would have to pull them all out at the same time and I busted many an arrow hitting them in the knock. Practice is the key. That and quality equipment.

I hear that! When I was trying to decide on which crossbow I was going get, it came down to the Ten Point and an Excaliber. I don't really remember why I went with Ten Point but it was probably because that one came in a full package deal, everything I would need to start hunting with. I still might get an Excaliber one day, their accuracy is legendary.

I can shoot a 3" group with my Bear Bruzer FFL with ease at 50 yards. I'll take a shot out to about 50 but the problem is them jumping the string. The last deer I killed with it was at about 30 yards. It didn't have time to get out of the way but that deer started to duck during the last 3-5 yards of that arrows flight.

My crossbow is over 20 years old and hasn't been shot in over a decade. But when I got it I did practice at 70 yards occasionally. I never tried to hit an apple but I would hit paper each shot. I believe I could've hit a decent size cantaloupe every shot but not an apple. I practiced with a friend and we shot at that distance towards end of the day because it was fun to try. I was hitting the target so I wasn't damaging bolts so why not. We did that at the end because walking back and forth 70 yards takes up a lot of time between shot cycles. The drop of the bolt was about 3 feet. I have a scope on my crossbow and at the time it was a good bow, technology has improved a lot since then.

Back
Top Bottom